Chapter 40: Okay, Yeah

Epona's POV:

Dumbledore helped Harry and I walk upstairs to his office where he told us Sirius was waiting. When we got there, a very worried Sirius had jumped out of his seat. 

Dumbledore asked us to explain what happened after we touched the Port Key, but no words would come out of my mouth. Cedric's death kept flashing through my mind. Again, I felt myself crying, and I leaned my head on Harry's shoulder. Sirius's hand grasped my shoulder tightly, and he gave me a comforting look. 

I added things here and there, and after it was all said and done, we got walked down to the hospital wing. Dumbledore and Sirius - in dog form- came with us. Dumbledore pretty much told everyone to shut up, and we wanted them to stay they could.

But he asked them not to question us, we've relived the events of tonight too much already. As soon as I sat down, and drank the potion, I felt myself start to fall asleep. Then there were whispers and a figure stood in the hall.

I looked closer to see Draco, standing in the doorway. He looked distraught, his hair messier than usual. Guilt washed over me. He's not his father, I know that. It's just...hard....

When I awoke, there was yelling. My breathing got quicker, and anxiety took over me. I tried to cover my ears and squeeze my eyes shut, hoping it might drown out the sound. I felt an arm wrap around me and lead me out of the room. In the hallway, it was quieter. 

I took a deep breath and looked at Draco in the eye.

"They let me stay with you..." His voice was low, barely above a whisper.

"Draco..." I started, and he looked at me, "You aren't one of them, right?"

His eyes were glossy, and I felt tears pool at my eyes, "Please, tell me you aren't one of them..." I begged him.

"I'm not...I promise, Epona." He looked me in the eye, and grabbed my hands in his, "Epona, I want to ask you to do something for me."

I nodded, and he continued, "This summer, I want you to spend it talking to people. I want you to have fun with your brother. I want you to do anything except talk to Phineas. And when you are back here for fifth year, I want you to reflect on your relationship with him and do what you think needs to be done."

I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't. It felt relieving to hear I didn't have to talk to him. Then I spoke, "Can I still talk to you?"

His disheveled face gave me a bright smile, "Of course. I'll always talk to you." I smiled.

"I'm sorry about yesterday...I didn't mean to scream at you..." My smile faded.

His hand squeezed mine, "No no no. Don't apologize. You've had to experience things that no one should have to. I promise you that's not what the world is like. And when we're older, I'll take you travelling around the world with me and show you the beauty of it." 

I felt myself smile again, "I would love that."

He kissed my forehead, and I rested my head on his shoulder, hugging him. I don't know how long we stood there like that, but I don't care. In this moment, I don't want it to ever end.

A month had gone by, and soon enough it was the end of the year. I had been distracting myself with working on designs for clothes. I also spent some time studying in the library with Draco, and I hung out with the trio. 

Now, I'm packing my bag, and getting ready for dinner. I decided I was going to sit with Harry, since we went through the shit together. 

Dumbledore started his speech about Cedric, and the next thing he said made my blood run cold and grab Harry's hand, "There are two others who must be mentioned in Cedric's death. I am of course talking about Harry and Epona Potter."

Harry squeezed my hand went he felt me tense, and tried to give me a reassuring smile, but it came out as making me more nervous.

"These two managed to escape Lord Voldemort." Dumbledore went on, "They risked their own lives to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. They showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown while facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I must honor them."

He raised his glass and looked at Harry and I again. I gulped and looked around the room. Almost everyone had followed his lead. I followed Harry's shocked gaze, to see Draco standing like others, his glass raised slightly. Sure, he had a scowl on his face, and the rest of the table was whisper yelling at him, but I smiled.

We had all grabbed our stuff and said our goodbyes to the people at the other school, when Draco came up. But not for me. But for Harry.

"Potter." He said, turning our attention to him.

Harry gave him a scowl, "What do you want now, Malfoy? Can I not just leave in peace?"

Draco rolled his eyes, "I need to talk to you."

Harry glared at him still, "Why would I talk to you?"

Draco sighed and mouth something, that made Harry turn to me.

"Go ahead. We'll wait for you." I smiled and he walked away with Draco.

Draco's POV:

We had gotten out of hearing range, and Potter was still being a brat. His arms were crossed when we stopped walking and he looked annoyed. Though I brought this upon myself, I couldn't care less.

"If you brought me here to ask permission to date Effie it's a no-" Harry said.

I snorted, "Oh please, I wouldn't ask you permission."

I turned my face serious again, "Potter, this is very important. After Diggory died, a letter appeared on my bed side labeled to me from him." 

He raised an eyebrow and I continued, "For a moment I thought it was some kind of sick joke, but then I opened it. I always found it strange that the night he brought back Epona to her dorm that he told me to beat up Phineas. Only when I read the letter, did it hit me."

I think he noticed my eyes glassing over as I forced myself not to cry again, "In February, Cedric found Epona crumpled on the floor sobbing in the halls at night. In the letter, he told me that Phineas did horrible, sick, things to her. And at the bottom was a USB with an audio recording of Epona admitting what he had done, in case she tried to deny it."

Harry stopped me, "What do you mean a horrible sick thing?" 

I took a shaky deep breath, "Potter, Phineas raped Epona."

Harry stopped dead in his tracks, and his face twisted with anger, "He did what?"

I put my hand on his chest to stop him from trying to go and kill Phineas, "Trust me, if anyone has the will to kill Phineas, it's me. But the reason Cedric didn't say anything was because Epona begged him not to. So he was going to give her until the end of the year to figure out what to do."

"And what do you suggest we do then, Malfoy?" Harry snarled.

"I told her not to talk to him for the whole summer, and come back for our fifth year and look back and decide what to do then after having space. I need you to make sure she doesn't contact him. Not because I don't trust her but..."

"Because he's manipulative." Harry finished, and nodded his head, "Okay, Malfoy. I'll make sure Effie and him don't talk. I guess you and I are on a truce right now."

"I guess so."

Harry walked away, and as the carriage with Epona and her friends rode away, I watched. Epona leaned over the back and waved at me, a big smile on her face.

But it only hurt me more as I waved back.

Why do you hide your pain?