Chapter 30

Notice: I feel like we all needed this... Enjoy :) 

○ ○ ○

Alexis POV

Flames burning inside of my body, the imagination taking over. If I passed away and was sent to the pitch of hell, I believe this is how it would feel like. My eyelids still securely locked together, palms sweating and my chest suffocating due to the burning pain.

Was I awake or still asleep?

The thin line between reality and detached mind was too blurry to judge the situation, I almost felt as if I were floating in front of the sun, allowing myself to die painfully and slowly, yet peacefully. Sweat running down my cheeks has suddenly disappeared, as if someone has patted it out with a towel.

I wasn't asleep.

Groaning inside I squeezed my eyes before opening them slowly – It was dark. 

At first, I didn't see anything, the time it took for my eyes to adjust was enough for my brain to understand I was laying down under a duvet. Sweaty and almost boiling on the inside I kicked the duvet away with my legs, sighing from the small, but necessary relief.

Just as my eyes have finally adjusted to the darkness, the light has been suddenly switched on, giving me a scare. Once again it took me a couple of seconds before I could see again. The confusion and shock of why Vanessa was sitting on the chair next to me have left me speechless.

What happened? Why was I here...

"You are awake..." she broke the silence and shifted nervously. "I was beginning to get worried, you were burning up," she pointed out as she began wiping my face with a cold wet towel.

I shivered slightly and began to think about what has happened? I didn't remember much...

Breathing heavily and against my better judgment I managed to speak up, "W..W-what-" but Vanessa has stopped me with a gentle graze of her fingertips against my cheek.

I was beginning to feel uncomfortable, the inability to recall the recent events was freaking me out.

"Alexis, hey..." she frowned with concern clearly noticing the panic in my eyes and awkwardly moving her hand back, as if she thought what I feared was her. "Daisy has called me... you weren't well, and she asked me to come and pick you up. I hope you don't mind, I-" her voice cracked, causing my heart to ache.

I sighed still confused, I don't think she was aware I didn't remember anything. I wasn't well? Did I have a breakdown during the party? Even though I haven't felt well, all I wanted was to calm Vanessa down, she seemed very upset and broken. I had only just noticed how worn-out she appeared to be, with the noticeable eye bags, teary red eyes... Did she cry? She seemed so fragile and scared - Did I cause that...?

Narrowing my brows, I used all of the remaining strength I had and slowly moved my hand onto her lap, I wanted to hold her hand, but I was too weak to do so. Her thunder eyes observed me thoroughly, she seemed to be troubled by something, but I couldn't tell what it was.

At least not until she dropped herself onto my chest, sobbing into the crook of my neck, was I asleep?

No... Even my broken mind wasn't capable of creating such a heart-breaking picture.

It was weird to have Vanessa clinging onto me as if I was about to die, my heart was beating so quickly just by having her this closely. The effect she had on me was something no one else could replicate. I wanted to keep her in my arms and protect her from whatever caused her pain.

Gaining some strength I moved my left hand onto her back and the other one towards her silky black hair, which at first I only carefully caressed with my fingers, before slowly beginning to stroke them with my hand. I wasn't sure how much time has passed, starring onto the ceiling in what I assumed was Vanessa's bedroom.