Chapter 14

Alexis POV

"Next please," the nurse called in another patient.

I've been waiting for my turn for almost an hour, I hated those monthly check-ups, but Mark said we weren't allowed to skip them as they were necessary.

I sat in the corner of the white bench, trying to maintain as much distance from the other people as possible. I was stressed out and anxious, usually, Mason came up with me to those visits, but he had to remain at the institution as he was having a very bad day, ever since last night. There wasn't much behind his mood swings, they were random and couldn't be helped, he just had to remain monitored for the time being due to safety reasons.

My fingertips played with my green knitted jumper, I tried not to connect my eyes with anyone in the waiting area, as the last thing I needed was someone wanting to have a chat.

You would be surprised how often it happened, that's why I always dragged Mason along, as he was my best option. Daisy was too impatient to even sit still and Sammy was a bit socially awkward, ending up with cringy jokes I just couldn't stand.

The doctor's door has opened, and my heart sank, was it my turn now?

"Next please," the nurse announced from her desk.

I looked around seeing no one was getting up, unsure of what to do I stood and walked up to the nurse, showing her my visit card.

She rolled her eyes, giving me a 'are you stupid?' look, but instead of actually saying anything, she has simply nodded and told me to go in.

I sighed already feeling like shit, as much as I wanted to be independent, it was incredibly difficult to do things by myself without feeling embarrassed or anxious.

I went inside the small room, Doctor Holland was sitting behind his desk, typing on his laptop.

"Ah, Alexis! How nice to see you again, please sit down," he greeted me and showed me onto the seat.

I knew him for about a couple of years, he was my assigned doctor, who each month had to ensure I was stable and healthy-minded, reading didn't have suicidal tendencies.

"So, tell me, how have you been feeling the past couple of weeks?" he questioned while taking out the folder with my name on it.

I shrugged. How have I been feeling? Well, let's start with scared, confused, worried, content, and happy. Quite frankly a full rollercoaster, but no fucking way I was telling him any of that. This appointment was like an exam, you only give correct answers in order to pass. I went through too many to not know what to do.

"W-was a b-b-bit sad recently... b-but I'm much better now," I answered with a fake smile.

"Ah... yes, yes, I've heard about what happened, I'm glad you are doing better. I've got all your blood test results, everything seems perfect. We won't be doing another brain scan, seeing you are able to speak again, I don't see it as necessary. Anything unusual I should know about?"

Dude just sign the fucking paper - I know you don't give a damn. "No," I said shortly maintaining a pleased expression.

He nodded, as if I've given him exactly what he wanted to hear, after about five more minutes of listening to the 'usual' talk, he has finally signed the piece of paper I needed to show at the institution so Mark could lay off and leave me be.

Once I left the room, I sat in the waiting area and took out my phone to message Sam who promised to come and pick me up after the appointment.

"Hi," said a high-pitched voice.