Chapter 19

Alexis POV

"Psst, Daisy..." I nudged my friend. "I w-wanna get some p-p-popcorn," I whispered feeling hungry.

My raven-headed friend didn't even register my words, as she watched Isabel in a daze. It was kind of cute, so I couldn't be upset with her.

"Hey, everything alright?" Oliver asked from my other side.

I gave him a weak smile, that hasn't exactly convinced him. Wanting to avoid speaking up I pointed at the guy with popcorn in his hand. 

"Oooh, I can help you out, cmon!" he offered already standing up.

I shot Daisy a last quick glare, but she hasn't even realized that I was walking away. Sighing in defeat I went alone with Oliver. He wasn't a bad guy, and I suppose he could help me out. We pushed through the crowd that only kept on growing. Sports events were sure huge in this town – Things you got to learn by becoming social.

We finally got inside the building, which was just as full of people as the outside field. There appeared to be an awfully long queue to the store, but at this point, I was committed to getting that popcorn. Sammy was supposed to buy it, but I haven't seen him return for way too long to believe he was still going to get it. Knowing him, there's a high probability he has met some girl and got distracted.

"Guess we got to wait," Oliver chuckled awkwardly while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Mhm," I nodded feeling a bit uneasy not having anyone I felt comfortable with by my side.

Suddenly, some tall guy pushed Oliver's shoulder causing him to lose his balance and stomp into my safe zone. I tried to move away but he surprised me by taking my hand.

"Hey, Alexis... listen..." he began nervously, while I was in utter shock that he was holding my hand. "I know this might not be the best moment, but I really wanted to ask you, if maybe... well... maybe you would like to go out on a date?"

He searched my eyes in clear panic, as I haven't responded feeling completely frozen.

"D-doesn't have to be anything serious, you know just..." he quickly added with a stutter.

"ALEXIS!" a brittle voice I haven't expected to hear again has screamed my name.

I turned around still mortified by everything that was happening. Oliver has let go of my hand, which allowed me to regain my composure, but I was still shaken up – I hated when people randomly touched me.

"A...Amira?!" I yelped when the tiny ginger girl hugged my leg, crying and sobbing.

I looked around trying to search for her parents, but no one seemed to be looking.

"Do you know her?" Oliver asked, but I ignored him having to focus on the girl.

Kneeling I checked her face for any signs of bruises – she appeared to be fine.

"W-w-what a-ar..are you d-doing here?" I questioned once she stopped sobbing and looked into my eyes.

She rubbed her red puffy eyes and sniffled a few times, before speaking up. "I... I got mad at Nessi, so I ran away and then... then! I got lost!" she cried out. I bit onto my lip not knowing how to calm her down. We definitely had to find this 'Nessi' she was talking about.

I embraced her in a hug, and she attached herself to me as if I was her last spark of hope. "H-how bout w...we get y-you something sweet. T-then we l-l-look for Nessi," I told her trying to calm her down.

"Really!?" her orbs sparkled with excitement.

I smiled at the adorable, freckled girl she was, being glad we've met again, but wishing it was under different circumstances. I was worried about finding her mother. How did she even look like?