Chapter 23

Vanessa POV

"No bloody way, I'm not going to be late!" I huffed to myself as I speed-walked towards Amira's school.

I admit, I might have gotten a tiny bit tipsy from Ann's wine, even though I hardly had two glasses. Oh well, I might have forgotten what time it was, but fortunately, the school was only a few minutes away, so it was perfectly fine to leave the car behind.

Checking my watch every two seconds, I internally cheered in a victory when I saw the school gates still being closed.

"I made it," I exhaled, needing a minute to compose myself. Placing my hands onto my thighs and taking a couple of breaths, I groaned. Slowly straightening myself back up and throwing my head back –Gee, I was getting old.

Sounds of kids have gotten louder and soon after first wave of children began to leave through the gates. I decided to wait outside with some of the other parents who were waving to their kids. After a couple of minutes, I began to worry, because Amira wasn't usually this late.

I decided to give her a few more minutes, not being into the idea of walking inside the small hall full of children. Amira was the only child that won my heart, and I had no plans to change that. On top of noisy halls, there was also another rather annoying factor. Amira's teacher – James. Let me tell you that guy had either no cell brains or dignity because he just couldn't accept a no. And just so we're clear, there were many, so fucking many no's over those couple of months.

Not having the strength to deal with the guy I decided to do what every proper adult would, and that is to avoid him. My life was a mess.

"Nessi?"

My eyes followed and stopped on my daughter, I smiled widely but then furrowed my brows at her oddly sheepishly behavior.

"Hey, honey. Everything's alright?" I asked in worry once I knelt in front of her. "Do I need to kick someone's ass?" My words caused a tiny chuckle to escape her lips, but quickly disappearing and going back into the sad expression. I could see her lip quiver and tears filling her eyes – Who the hell hurt my baby?

"Habibti ana, talk to me," my voice smooth like butter, not wanting to scare her any further, with the rage I was filling inside.

I sighed heavily, caressing her freckled cheek, and bringing her into the hug. I was well aware she wasn't doing too well at the new school. She didn't have any friends and it was difficult for her to adjust to the new environment, even after this long.

I was going to talk to someone about this, but not now. I knew she wouldn't want me to, and so I had to do it without her knowledge. The best course of action was to cheer her up, and I knew exactly what we should do.

Slowly, pulling the little girl away from me I wiped her tear off with my thumb and kissed her forehead. "This calls for your favorite cupcakes, don't you think?"

A sudden smile broke the sadness, and she sniffled a few times, wiping her nose with her hand. I quickly handed her a tissue and held onto her hand. "How about we buy all the ingredients we need and bake them at auntie Ann's place?"

"No... Can it just be us tonight?" She surprised me, by refusing to see Ann, but there were times where she didn't want to be with anyone else than me. Don't get me wrong it made me incredibly happy, just wish it wasn't because of such upsetting circumstances.

"Of course, Mira. Your wish is my command," I grinned happily.

The sun was slowly setting, leaving the last drops of sunshine onto the streets. It was a decent temperature for this time of the year, which didn't require additional layers such as gloves or a scarf. Amira was wearing the adorable green coat I bought her last Christmas. It was a bit expensive, but I purposely saved up for a couple of months. I wasn't rich, well I used to be much more carefree with money than I was now. Obviously, being alone and single allowed me to spend some cash on expensive clothes and furniture, but ever since taking Amira in, I got overwhelmed with bills. Who would have thought having a kid was this expensive!