II - Chapter 12

Vanessa POV

I messed up.

The worst part was that even though I was fully aware of my mistake I was yet to apologize to my Alexis. Why was that? - Something was holding me back. I snapped at her because of my own insecurities, and in all honesty, I was terrified of repeating it in the future. I wasn't the type of person to give false promises, especially when aware I might not be able to hold on to them.

Two weeks have passed since our little argument and I was slightly surprised by Alexis mature behavior. She hasn't approached me once, but she didn't exactly ignore me, always searching the eye contact whenever she could, almost as a reminder, that she's still waiting for me to do something, because she clearly wasn't going to. And I admired that, although her maturity made me look like a teenager instead, which stung.

Entering the cafeteria, I approached the drink station and began making myself a cup of coffee. I might have been throwing myself into a lot of additional work instead of facing my personal problems, and it has definitely affected my general performance, resorting to at least two cups of coffee a day.

"Crap!" I hissed at the burning sensation on my hand – I splashed some of the boiling water onto my hand, simply marvelous.

I heard a gasp before someone has handed me a tissue, it was Mary, school's art teacher.

"Are you alright, Vanessa?" she asked concerned.

Giving her a fake smile, I nodded and wiped my hand dry.

"All good, thank you." Quickly finishing off preparing my coffee I walked away before she tried to drag on the conversation.

It wasn't that I disliked her for any specific reason - I just didn't like people in general.

Not exactly searching for any new friendships, unless those have happened naturally and I didn't have to force myself into conversations. There were only a few who gave off calming and trusting energy that just worked with mine. I didn't like how this kind of demeanor was perceived as being rude, not everyone had to be a social butterfly.

Walking off into the teacher's area I took a sit by a single table and sighed with content after taking a couple of sips of my coffee – Yep, I needed that.

Almost like magnets, my eyes found Alexis sitting at the table with her friends. That was another thing that must have happened while we haven't spoken. She and Daisy seemed to be talking again and it couldn't make me happier, when I saw them giggling and teasing each other it reminded me of their first few weeks at school, when they were almost inseparable, including Sam.

I felt relieved seeing this amazing young woman smile, I could watch her do that for hours, as creepy as it might sound. There was something angelic about her, the aura and pure intentions she always held in her heart were a rare find.

I really messed up.

Nervously tapping onto the table, I couldn't help, but keep on stealing glances at the brunette. My heart was aching and all I wanted was to embrace her into my arms, it felt so good and right to have her snuggled into my chest.

"Vanessa!" Mr. Clark approached me, pulling my attention away from Alexis who just so happened to connect her eyes with mine at the exact moment I had to look away. "Apologies for cutting your break short, but there's someone at your office who requested a meeting. If you don't mind, I told them I would go and get you."

Requested a meeting? I swear if it was Martha coming into my work, I was about to lose it.

"Of course, thank you." I smiled and swiftly walked out of the cafeteria, feeling a certain pair of eyes following me out.