II - Chapter 17

Vanessa POV

"They've done a magnificent job, haven't they?" Mr. Clark spoke up as we went over the application files for Sam, Daisy, and Alexis.

I've provided them with all the necessary recommendation letters, some personally from myself, but also from the other teachers, ensuring that everything was prepared for the sent off to the University they've all chosen last week.

Not surprisingly Mr. Clark was extremely helpful, I could see how proud he was when I told him about their decision, so much so that he instantly wrote his own recommendation for the entire three. Apparently one of his friends was working at the said University making the entire procedure a tad easier.

Definitely not favoritism, but in my defense, I did my best for all of the other students as well, just without a touch of love I had for my Rohi.

"They really did great," I agreed as I placed my signature on one of the sheets. "I remember when you told us about them coming to the school. Not everyone was this open-minded," I recalled some of the teachers being against the idea of accepting the teenagers with such history, especially Daisy's.

"You always supported them from the side, they probably don't even know the half you've done for them, why is that?" he wondered curiously.

"Hmm," I tapped the pen against my bottom lip, giving my answer some thought. "I guess I might've had projected myself onto them, starting out teaching after you know what... I wouldn't say it was a pity, but I wanted to give them a fair shot, which they took. Their grades were exceptional, and they really did try. As not only a teacher but a woman in my mid-twenties I want to see them succeed."

Mr. Clark glanced at me from beyond the papers, "I'm glad I hired such a passionate young person as yourself, Ms. Jones, however, if you don't mind me asking, have you thought about your own future?"

He surprised me with the sudden interference into my personal life, which wasn't something I shared often.

Giving him a weak smile, I shook my head. "You know I've got a child, as long as the pay is sufficient, I don't exactly have much time to think about myself," I told him truthfully, something about this man made me feel like I was in the presence of my mother, feeling safe enough to share.

"Oh child," he got up from his chair and took a book out of his drawer. "I can't even imagine the struggles of a young single parent, but the child isn't an obstacle, we tend to use it as an excuse. I don't mean to be rude. I love having you as one of my teachers, but please do not forget to think about yourself, Ms. Jones. You are an exceptional young lady yourself," he handed me the book, which I accepted with curiosity. "Read it, and if you ever feel like taking your writing a step further, I'm here to help."

What?

"How do you know about my writing?" I asked taken aback. It wasn't something I told others at work.

He placed his hands on his beer belly and laughed like an old man. "Dear, I recognize a writer when I see one, don't let yourself down, and take me up on my offer someday."

His words were resonating in my head for the rest of the day. I was very private about my work and even Alexis, though she knew it existed wasn't allowed to read it. What was I afraid of? - I didn't know. But it wasn't the fear of judgment, but rather my own disappointment if it was not to succeed.

Nevertheless, his talk did give me some thinking, I shouldn't only be encouraging Alexis to move forward, but also myself.

"How d-d-do I look?" My breath-taking girlfriend came out of the bathroom, in one of my blue dresses, which I gave her to try for the graduation day.