II - Chapter 2

Vanessa POV

"Please read through the sheets at home and don't feel intimidated by the new material, we will carefully analyze it this week," I informed the class, before letting them go. "See you on Wednesday."

The sound of moving chairs has echoed throughout the classroom, as my third year began to walk outside.

"Ms. Jones, can I ask is there any additional material I could read?" William asked curiously as he approached me.

He was one of my brightest students, holding the second top score in my class right after Alexis.

That girl was extraordinarily smart, from what I knew she held high scores in all of her classes, but it wasn't just her. I allowed myself to peek into Daisy's and Sam's grades and they were both equally amazing. Daisy was the best with science subjects, while Alexis held herself high in history, English, economics, and psychology.

Honestly, I was a bookworm during my school years, but achieving such spectacular grades with their laidback approach would be an impossibility.

Concentrating back at William who patiently waited with hope in his eyes, I pulled an extracellular book out of my shelf and handed it to him. I had nothing against students going out of their way in order to improve. It was their final year of high school and so I understood that for those who genuinely tried, it was crucial to keep doing their best if not better.

"Thank you, Ms. Jones!" he beamed happily and walked away satisfied.

I began to pack my belongings but remembered an email I was supposed to send to one of my co-workers. Quickly opening my laptop, I sat back down and began to write.

Suddenly the laptop lid has slowly closed. Looking up, my eyes were met with a cheery brunette leaning against my desk. Playfulness sparkling in her green orbs – What a rare sight.

I hummed and crossed my arms against my chest. "What do you think you are doing, Miss Anderson?" I questioned with a raised brow, wondering how she was going to react.

To my surprise, her expression hasn't changed a bit.

"I was wondering, Ms. Jones. Is t-there any additional m-m-material I could read?" she asked cheekily, her stuttering not affecting her game, but rather adding a touch of charm.

"Don't be an ass Alexis," I rolled my eyes at her words. "Not everyone is as brilliant as you," I pointed out.

Her cheeks puffed up. "I w-wasn't mocking him, I p-p-promise," she grumbled.

I smirked and leaned towards her with mere inches separating our faces. "Nu-uh, no pouting my dear," I squeezed her cheeks, her pupils dilating at the action.

Taking a quick peek to the side, ensuring the door was closed and no one could see us being this friendly I patted her cheek. "Good girl. Now, I'm over the moon to see you in such a good mood, but I must finish this email," I said matter-of-factly and went back to the laptop.

"O..okay..." she choked out.

As I typed, I couldn't help but steal glances at the girl. She was drawing on the chalkboard with the brightest smile on her face.

It was something I realized a couple of weeks ago - Alexis loved being praised. I wasn't sure whether she knew it herself, but I decided on keeping it quiet as of now. Didn't want to embarrass or offend her, especially after not seeing each other for a week.

Either way - I loved it, but found it oddly difficult to keep them away. The fact that she was so perfect wasn't helpful either. This girl with a golden heart, cooked like an angel, was clean and held good manners, but also just so happened to be the most alluring being I met in my life.