Chapter 15

Alexis POV

Time flew by and before we knew it, October was reaching its end. Trees still dressed in beautifully colored leaves, but now sharp winds accompanied the early mornings and late nights. The sky became gloomier by the day, and the sun that shined onto the streets, hid behind the clouds, noticeably taking away the source of warmness.

I wore my brown coat over my green turtle neck, giving the mirror the last look and gifting myself with an encouraging smile - failing miserably.

Things were getting heavier, and life more complicated. It's been a week now since Daisy was officially adopted and taken away from the institute. I wanted to curl up into a tiny bowl and never leave her sofa bed, at least not until she comes back - but I didn't. I had to move on, things were changing and as much as I hated change, it was an inevitable part of life, that I yet had to learn.

We all remained strong and took it head-on, always seeing each other at school and spending a few hours after back at the institute with Mason.

Daisy's new family was extremely wealthy, they are planning on getting her a car, so she could see us more often and be more independent. We all met the family, they were welcoming and warm, confessing to losing their eldest daughter to cancer a few years back. Their history with adoption was quite long, as all of their children were adopted, including the nine-year-old twins who grew obsessed with Daisy's tattoos, begging their parents to have them as well.

Everything was perfect, and yet the pain remained. Sammy was now the one who helped me with my shoes, and I found it challenging to sleep at night without her presence. There was no one to share the cleaning tasks with and I had to take care of everything in my room by myself because it was just that. My room. Not ours.

Ever since they brought Daisy into the institute, she was allocated into the room with me. At first, she hated me. Never spoken a word and neither did I, but with time passing by we slowly made tiny interactions. The first time we laughed together was when she tried to fix the shitty broken tv. Not even five minutes in she got so upset she threw it onto the wall, breaking it completely and leaving a dent next to her bed. Mark scolded us so badly, yet afterward, we couldn't help, but laugh hysterically.

Since then we talked on a daily basis, and soon after I introduced her to Mason, who I already knew for a year. We all hit it off and a few months later a skinny blond boy entered the house. 

He refused to eat, and nurses fed him through the tube, he never wanted any substantial foods, that is until Daisy, Mason, and I decided to cook him a meal. We made the world's worst oatmeal, but when we handed it to him, he thanked us and ate it all, throwing up afterward - that was the day when Sam has finally begun to eat again.

We became a family, growing up slowly, sharing our stories, mental breakdowns, screams, and tears. We gave each other strength to keep on living, and now one of us has left. It was soul destructive, and Mason was having the worse time dealing with it, or maybe it was me, but I just haven't shown it, not wanting to worry my friends.

Once at school, I was asked by Mr. Clark to help with decorating the classroom for an upcoming math contest. I accepted not minding, as it allowed me to legally skip my chemistry class in the process.

I was hanging some cringy math references and jokes onto the walls when I heard heels hitting the floor outside of the class. It was over the break time so no one was outside other than teachers. My curiosity took over and I peaked outside spotting Vanessa going through the hall towards her office with a bunch of books in her hands. Without thinking I placed ridiculous decorations away and rushed towards my English teacher who hasn't seen me yet.