II - Chapter 3

Vanessa POV

"She hasn't been h-h-herself recently," Alexis talked about Daisy, as she drove us towards the city. "I could always t-t-tell and read her, but now... She's a blank slate," she worried with furrowed brows.

I hummed recalling her earlier behavior, and how she violently pushed Isabel against the lockers, but also how she simply watched Alexis getting bullied by other students. I began to believe the girl might have done something, that pushed her to the edge.

"You think..." I began unsurely. "She might have done something?"

Alexis tightened her grip on the wheel and chewed on her inner cheek. She hasn't responded verbally, instead shook her head to the sides as if not wanting to believe in any dark possibility.

"Right, sorry sweetheart." I placed my hand on her thigh and she instantly relaxed. "Give her some space, a lot of things have happened, she might just need some time to process it," I tried to reassure the girl, but also believe in that scenario myself.

Daisy might have not been my problem per se, but she was Alexis life, and so she automatically became a part of mine. She was a stubborn, full of pain and rage young woman, but she was also a part of Alexis family and her pillar. The brunette always talked about their friendship with pure admiration and gratefulness - I couldn't possibly dislike her, even if she wasn't too fond of me.

"Yeah," she agreed in a whisper, still hesitant, but not as worried. "The s-s-storm seems to be much c-calmer here," she pointed out as I looked outside.

The evening darkness from the gloomy clouds was brightened up by the lights. The first hour of our drive was very difficult and dangerous, and so I didn't bother the girl with much talking, letting her concentrate on getting us out of the storm.

Now, the wind wasn't as strong, and it was much easier to pick up some speed. I tried not to think of Mira who was most likely still crying... I felt like a failure.

"How did Christmas g-go?" she asked while setting up the GPS on her phone, we were getting off the highway soon.

I shifted nervously, I wasn't ready to mention my mother just yet. "Good, we spent it with Ann, for the most part, Amira definitely missed you though..."

The flashbacks of Amira being disappointed by the brunette's absence during Christmas have caused a slight heartache. I shouldn't be allowing her to get this attached, but at the same time, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to stop it.

"I missed her too... But I c-c-couldn't leave Mason and Sam, we a..always spend it together, I'm sorry." She apologized for no reason.

"Alexis, I never expected you to do that, we well..." I paused trying to gather my thoughts. "I expect you to spend holidays with your family, not us." Even though I want you to. "So, don't feel responsible. Amira has to learn that you are just a family friend and you cannot be there at all times." The more I spoke the less convincing I sounded. "If you like I can talk to her, so you don't feel too pressured," I finished regretfully, hoping she wasn't going to take me up on that offer.

She stayed completely silent before speaking up, "Yeah... You do what's b-b-best for her, if getting too attached to me is going to c-c-cause issues then-"

"-it won't" I interrupted not letting her go any further.

She gave me a side glance, before nodding her head and going quiet again – It hurt.

What did I expect? Maybe some part of me wanted for her to disagree. To say that she would never let that happen, but then Alexis was too considerate, and it was the only thing that got onto my nerves.