II - Chapter 8

Vanessa POV

I haven't had a chance to see her until my class, and I would have lied if I said my heart didn't ache. My sweet girl was so upset it was hard to watch.

She struggled so much ever since Daisy has ignored her calls, I never thought I would feel someone's pain as my own, but I suppose there was a first time for everything because I felt hers - And it was agony. 

I strongly wanted to believe that Daisy had nothing to do with the incident, but the fact that she ignored Alexis calls and messages wasn't reassuring, to say the least. Not having a chance to speak with the brunette ever since last evening, all I could think about was her.

I offered to pick her up after work, but she said she wanted to be alone, which I respectfully accepted. However, seeing her behavior and the way she got so easily frustrated I understood I had to intervene before it got worse.

When I sorted her books and pencils, she hasn't spoken a word, so imagine my concern slowly growing within every passing minute, never wanting the class to end this badly in my life. 

When the bell has finally rung my heart skipped a beat. I was never the type to feel nervous, but right now Alexis was even more of an enigma than she was before, and so I wasn't sure I knew how to approach her without causing any further complications.

As always, she was the last one to leave my class, but this time it wasn't on purpose. I heard her quietly swear under her nose when she tried to pack her things evidently not pleased with the results. 

I carefully walked up to the door and locked them before heading towards the girl.

"Fuck t-this!" she screamed and threw her bag onto the chairs in front of her.

I sucked in the air and without any unnecessary comments went to pick up her stuff. I could feel her eyes on me. Observing my every move, but it didn't budge me. Once I got everything, I began sorting it out the way she liked it and placed it inside of her bag.

Keeping my composure, which just so happened to be very difficult even for myself. I got closer unsure of what to do.

I took in every detail, especially how her slightly tired puffy eyes avoided mine.

"Oh sweetheart," I choked out with a tightened throat. "Can I hug you?" I asked for permission, which I wished one day I wouldn't need.

Tears left her glossy eyes and I chewed on my bottom lip, fighting with the urge to bring her into me. Feeling hurt by not receiving the answer I lowered my gaze to her shoes, both untied with laces clumsily shoved into its sides. 

Shaking my head, I knelt in front of her and calmly began tying them up into two perfect ribbons. Her lips went agape, she clearly didn't expect me to be this nice with what she was currently pulling up, but I wasn't heartless and this was understandable.

Alexis might have gotten better, but it didn't mean there weren't situations that would sometimes take the progress backward by a few steps.

The school bell rang and I got upset by how short the break was.

"You know when I got the free period... Please, come to see me," I urged, not used to acting this softly.

She hasn't answered, but before she rushed out of the classroom, she spun around on the back of her heel and planted a quick peck on my cheek. I smiled at the reassurance she gave me. It might have not been much, but it was just enough - She needed more time and I understood that.

God, who knew being in love was going to be this complicated if only Liam would see me now... I definitely was head over heels for this girl. 

After two more classes, I finally got the free period, during which I, unfortunately, had to grade some papers, as I promised to do for one of the absent teachers. After walking into their office, I was surprised to see Robert one of the new additions to the team.