Chapter 3

Alexis POV

We were currently chilling in Masons and Sam's bedroom. It was our usual spot since I didn't like having them over at mine. Idiots always moved my stuff around, knowing how much it annoyed me, but whatever, since we agreed to stay at theirs.

"Sammy, p-p-play my song," I suggested seeing he couldn't decide.

I was sitting crisscrossed on the floor, with my back against the bed. Mason was laying on my lap allowing me to play with his curly brown locks. I loved playing with people's hair, it was incredibly therapeutic. Before I knew one of my favorite songs by Cage the Elephant 'Cold Cold Cold' has played in the room causing my lips to curve upwards.

"Here, Lexi," Daisy passed my vape." I inhaled vanilla custard flavor, which was the only one I used unless I was in the mood for some cannabis.

The chord was about to play, and we all sang in the unison.

I paused mid through the second half, beginning to stammer, but I shrugged it off and moved my head to the sound of the music. These little moments in our lives, were the reason behind us being alive. Especially for Mason...

I looked at my friends still singing and laughing, Daisy decided to jump around the room and shake her long raven hair all over the place. Soon after Sammy joined her and grabbed her hand to spinning her around. They were dancing until the song came to an end.

With a breathy voice, Daisy gushed, "Sooo, how did our little bean get herself into detention?" She teased already knowing the answer since Sammy told her everything during our lunch break at school.

"What! Alexis in detention!?" Mason pulled up from my laps looking at me in pure disbelief.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes, gosh it's not like I was an angel... I just avoided trouble.

"Wish you guys have seen it! I never saw her so mad," Sammy added while forming 'o' with a vape. "Jack, the guy we told you about, called our teacher a bitch," he told Mason.

Daisy chuckled. "And you said your English teacher is the hottie from this morning, right?"

Ugh, hottie... C'mon such an elegant, mysterious, and beautiful woman deserved better than a 'hottie'.

I scoffed, "She's a great teacher, j-j-jackass had no right." I paused to use my vape, "And don't call her a hottie." I added furrowing my eyebrows at Daisy.

You might be wondering why I haven't stuttered much, well once I'm relaxed with my friends, it gets to the point where it only happens occasionally. It was especially bad this morning due to the stress, but now that the day was over and nothing major has happened, I was able to breathe again.

"What?" I questioned my friends looking at me funny.

"I can't believe it," Daisy blurted out. "Our little bean has found her first crush!" She screamed causing me to flinch.

I totally did not!

"Oh, My, God!" Sammy squealed like a little girl and jumped on the floor in front of me, with his elbows resting on his crisscrossed laps. "Admit it, you got a crush!" He had an annoying smug on his face.

"W-w-what?!" I stammered genuinely taken back by their accusation. I cleared my throat and pressed my lips into a straight line. "I. Do. Not." I argued, becoming frustrated by their ridiculous idea. "Masooon," I called him for backup, but I knew it's a lost cause when I saw his mischievous grin. "Idiots..." I muttered and grabbed Daisy by the arm. "Sleep time," I announced warningly.

My friends just laughed but didn't protest, seeing I wasn't having any of it. I mean, what the hell? Never in my life did I have a crush, and certainly, I was not going to start by having one on my bloody English teacher. And even if... the woman looked like she's had her life together. No way in hell someone like her would ever notice my existence, beyond me being her eighteen-year-old student.

I laid on my bed listening to the sound of running water coming from Daisy's shower. I closed my eyes, however immediately snapping them open, as the first thing I saw was Ms. Jones beautiful orbs filled with fire.

Which made me wonder... was she mad at me? Or maybe she was annoyed by the entire situation. She did thank me... her voice was so sweet and soft, shame I didn't see her expression when she said it. I wonder what her name was...

Wait.

What's wrong with me this is so wrong... Okay, stop thinking about her, you idiot! I groaned and covered my face with a pillow, all of this was so stupid.

"Woah, if your plan is to suffocate yourself with a pillow, then I might have to remind you we made a promise, no more attempts," Daisy pointed out.

I screamed into the pillow and pushed it to the side. "Stupid, of c-course not. Just t-t-thinking," I admitted and pulled myself into a sitting position, inviting my friend to join me. I rested my head on her shoulder and played with her left-hand fingers. If you haven't figured it out by now, I tend to keep myself busy with my hands, to stop myself from picking on my cuticles.

"What does it feel like... to have a c-crush?" I hesitated but decided to ask.

Daisy sighed and rubbed my thumb, "Sorry Lexi, you know I'm not into romantic shit... like at all."

"B-but, wouldn't it be n-n-nice to have a p-partner? Someone t-to connect w-with," I wondered mostly to myself, I knew that Daisy wasn't interested in being with another human in such a way.

"The idea makes me want to kill myself if that's any help," she joked, letting a tiny chuckle escape her lips.

I pinched her skin, causing her to whine. "We d-don't joke about that," I warned since it was a second time tonight when she has referred to a suicide.

"Sorry Lexi," she apologized, I knew she lacked tact and it was simply something I had to point out from time to time. I loved her, nevertheless. I loved all three of them.

Come to think of it, it's been such a long time since we've met.

Mason was the first, me, then Daisy, and a few months after, Sam came through the building door.

Our current home, where we were being monitored and medicalized on a daily basis. Our past and disabilities a constant reminder and proof, of those horrid memories. We never judged each other, nor did we argue about who had it worse, because we knew, it was different but equally soul destructive.

Mason, however... He was on a strict suicide watch, which prevented him from doing anything by himself. The staff allowed him to go out with us from time to time, but it was all very restricted. We usually went to our favorite burger place on a Saturday evening, and a beach on Sunday, but that's about it.

Mason suffered from severe depression and was being stuffed with strong medications every single day.

He slept for at least fourteen hours, and never socialized with other people in the house. I believe it was due to his shyness, but also accepting someone new into our lives meant reliving the past. It's way too damn exhausting and I couldn't blame him for not wanting any other friends. We spilled our shit out when we were kids - it's been years since we've talked about any of it.

My 'parents'... Yeah, definitely not going there.

"I'm gonna s-s-sleep," I informed Daisy and rolled to the side, she got up and went to her sofa chair, but not before turning off the light and grabbing her blanket from my bed. Daisy wasn't able to sleep in a laying down position, it always triggered her nightmares, that's why she had a very nice and comfy sofa chair.

"We survived yet another day," her voice rang in the darkness of our room.

"To the many m-more..." I sighed and looked at the dark clear sky, through the window covered by the three metal bars. One particular star, shined so brightly, reminding me of a certain beautiful teacher. This time I allowed myself to be embraced by those thoughts and slowly drifted to sleep, with a tiny smile creeping onto my face.