Chapter 24

Notice: Can't believe we hit 1k votes! Wanted to give a special shout-out to  @hourglass1, @Wafflz1988, @DoctroLewis25, @urDaddybby, @Lakyn17, and many others who supported this story since the beginning. There's too many of you to point out, but I want you to know your support doesn't go unnoticed :)

○ ○ ○

Alexis POV

As Christmas was slowly approaching so was the library opening, which we scheduled for the next Saturday. Everything was coming together, with only small things to be done around the place. Ann was working on implementing a computer system that would create a customer base and control the location of the books.

On the other hand, I began to decorate the place with some Christmas decorations, which quickly became one of my favorite things to do. We never decorated inside of the institute, so you could easily say I was excited.

"Someone's happy," Ann commented with a grin.

I puffed my cheeks. "Of c-course! I've n-n-never done Christmas d-d-decorating before," I informed as a matter-of-factly.

She looked at me shocked but quickly shook it off. "Well then it calls for the celebration, don't you think?"

I raised my brow at the older woman. "W-what s-s-sort," I wondered while trying to untangle the Christmas lights - That thing had no end!

She hummed, for a second before snapping her fingers. "Let's go out for dinner! Vanessa and Amira should be here any minute," she proposed with an odd spark in her eyes. Not sure why it felt a little pre-planned.

I shifted from one leg to another, I was already nervous to see Vanessa after what I pulled off yesterday, and now we would be going out for dinner?

"I..I don't k-know..."

"That's not a no, so let's go," she chippered and handed me my coat.

"What?!" I didn't exactly agree...

Before I threw my coat on the library door has opened and Amira rushed through it.

"Auntie Ann!" she exclaimed and bolted towards the redhead woman. She was like a little ball of energy. A smile broke on my lips as I watched them hug and play together.

"Hey," Vanessa's vanilla perfumes hit my nostrils. I jumped a bit surprised by how close she was, I must have spaced out.

I turned towards the woman and smiled shyly letting out a quiet 'hi'.

"I see Ann has you doing the annoying part," she commented at the Christmas lights I was still holding in my hand. 

"Oh, n-no, I love it!" I assured with a wide smile. "I a-a-always wanted to do it," I added.

Vanessa observed me for a minute with furrowed brows. She then sighed and took the lights out of my hand, but not without gently touching it in the process. That itself was enough to cause my breath to hitch, which she must have realized because she smiled mischievously, before skillfully untangling them.

I stared at her in awe, I was trying to do that for the past twenty minutes and this woman just achieved it in two...

"So... you've never done Christmas before?" she asked with a stoic expression as she handed back the lights.

I shook my head 'no' and placed them on the shelf next to me.

"I see. Well, nowadays I only do them for Amira, I don't have much holiday spirit left," she confessed while looking at her daughter who ordered Ann to spin her around.