Chapter 13

Vanessa POV

"What's with the long face?" Ann, my redheaded friend pointed out while emptying one of the library shelves, and placing old books into the cardboard box.

Once Thomas her grandfather has found out we were planning on coming back to the town, he has offered her to take over the family business. I honestly found it quite ironic, since our entire childhood, she avoided taking over the business like a plague.

'Me owning a library? Never!' were her own words. When we moved out into the city she swore to never come back, but life was unpredictable, and we must always appreciate what we get.

"Just tired," I declared staring at the laptop screen where I was grading the essays.

"Hmm," she hummed giving me her signature cheeky smirk.

Uh-huh, something was on her mind, and I wasn't going to like it.

"What?" I huffed.

"Nothing, nothing," she snickered, acting worse than my junior students.

"Really Ann? Just say it," I insisted on having whatever it was she had in her head over with. Knowing Ann for my entire life I knew well enough she would not let it go before she would blurt it out at the most random and inappropriate time. Embarrassing me was one of her trademarks.

My cheery friend chuckled, "Well..." she spoke and walked behind me placing her hands on my shoulders, leaning in, and whispering into my ear. "I have come to believe there is someone who has caught queens' attention. I must say I'm mortified, never thought to live the day," she finished and moved back before I could push her away.

"And what led you to believe such delusions," I remained calm, but my heartbeat raised slightly. Why?

"You've been quite absent-minded, and oddly distracted," she pointed out.

I snorted amusedly, "Nonsense."

"Ah-ha! Last Wednesday you always come with Amira for taco night, but you forgot to bring salsa. You never forgot salsa before!" she accused overdramatically.

"You are acting like a child," I resorted, rolling my eyes.

"Nu-uh, I can feel it, the back of my left arm is tingling, and you know what that means," she pointed at her arm.

"Okay, that thing you have going on with your arm never worked, I'm seriously concerned. Get it checked."

She placed her hand on her chest gasping. "Ugh, fine. Serious Ann is back, now... tell me, it's been going on for a few weeks," her voice softened.

"Really Ann? There's no such thing as you being serious..." I muttered trying to change the subject.

How could I admit there was in fact something weird happening to me ever since meeting those green eyes filled with the endless amount of love and pain, almost as if the hidden secrets of the universe were locked inside of them. I grimaced at the thought, it was so inappropriate to even think about my student in such an intimate way.

I groaned hearing Ann say, "We are a little too old to be acting like teenagers don't you think?"

"There's no one okay? I've just been preoccupied with work. Taking a year break from teaching, sure made me forget how tiresome it can be," I responded defensively.

She closed the now filled-up box and sighed shaking her head to the sides. "Fine, fine, I won't push. Let's go out tonight! It's Friday and Amira is with her grandparents," she announced giving me her pleading eyes.

I clenched my jaw slightly - I wasn't in the mood to 'meet' anyone. "Yeah... I don't know Ann, I just want some time for myself."

She huffed unhappily while placing the box on top of the other. The pile was getting uncomfortably large. "You get it all the time, we aren't that old yet, and it's about time we have some fun again... Please?"