II - Chapter 11

Alexis POV

My thoughts were shattered all over the place, some traveled deeper into my mind linking childhood memories to the mistakes I've made and will make, some were simply there, a mere whisper 'you are an awful friend' it repeated continuously.

My brain was a mess.

First of all, I was tired, managing to sleep for only two hours before I had to get ready for school. Secondly, I couldn't help, but think about how to make my friends happy again, and that one was a definite pain in the ass.

Unfortunately, Mason was right about Sammy, which sucked, because that meant I haven't even paid him enough attention to realize our usual jokester was feeling extremely gloomy. I've been such a bad friend as of late... Even with Daisy, what if she needed me to come out of my way, after all, it was always her making the first move. Whatever it was I knew I allowed for this charade to go on for way too long, and it was a time to end it.

"Anderson!" My teacher raised his voice, and I instantly gave him an apologetic look. "Pay attention," he muttered under his nose. That was the thing with the teachers at this school, they all treated us as if we were an eggshell, often providing us with special treatment or just ignoring our existence. I was surprised that he even called my name, dude didn't have the guts to give me an actual punishment.

And that is why I liked Vanessa from the beginning, she never did that, always treating us equally with the other students, or rather should I say like normal human beings.

"You alright?" Sam worried giving me a gentle nudge to the side. I puffed my cheeks and observed his soft features 'why won't you smile?!' was the only thing on my mind. "What..?" he mumbled unsure of how to react to my behavior.

"Nothin," I huffed and went back to planning on how to bring my family together. It couldn't be that hard we all loved each other, right?

"Um okay, well are you fine with me leaving?"

I gasped processing his words. "Leaving?!" My eyes snapped at him with terror.

He frowned confused. "Yeah? I wanted to eat lunch with Jen, but if you don't want me to go then I can stay it's-"

"It's fine! S-s-sorry was spacing out," I assured feeling embarrassed by the misunderstanding. I really needed to chill.

He hummed lowly and went back to his notes, while all I could do was stare at my blank notebook, unable to focus on the lesson. Honestly, all I wanted was to just go back to bed and wake up to everything being squeaky clean, why did it have to be this hard?

Once the bell rang, I felt a wave of anxiety, usually, I've been hanging out with Vanessa after my lunch break with Sam, but today I wanted to end it. What Mason has said earlier today has got me thinking, what we've been doing was beyond risky, and the thought of me being the reason behind endangering Amira's and Vanessa's peaceful lives was not letting me catch a breath – I was suffocating.

Making my way towards the woman's office I began experiencing the good old cold sweat. The fact that I was this nervous about confronting her wasn't a good sign. I had to stop overthinking, it was Vanessa we were talking about, she would never get mad... Would she? For some reason, my queen has always acted very insecure when it came to our relationship, and I couldn't put a finger on why.

After three soft knocks I entered her office without waiting for permission, I mean I've been doing this for far too long to be needing one.

"Well, hello there," her cheeky, yet slightly devilish voice has soothed all of my worries away, wanting to forget about what Mason has said and kept on going the way we were.