Chapter 85.2 - A passion for Candor

The Archon's NPC mode finally deactivated. He said to them politely: "Lord Inspectors, I humbly request your attendance at a welcome banquet that has been prepared for you."

Du Ze thought that it would just be a small luncheon. He hadn't expected the Archon to hold such a lavish banquet. In a garden the size of four football fields, tables were filled with delicious food that had beautiful purple and red plants as decorations. At the banquet, all of the food was placed on the tables while gorgeously dressed people traveled between the table. A fountain of wine made a colorful splash and the whole place had an atmosphere of extravagance and luxury.

Despite the crowd, Du Ze could easily pick out the governor from among the people surrounding him since the light he emitted announced his presence to all.

A lot of people were looking at Xiu and Eric with eager, admiring eyes. Soon, a brave fellow took the lead in approaching them. That was the beginning. More and more people were attracted to the two, like tiny iron pieces attracted by a magnet. A steady stream of people flowed towards them. Eric was soon surrounded by a crowd. Many people also wanted to get close to Xiu but Old John, with a refined and gentlemanly air, very gently struck the ground in front of Xiu, creating a 10-meter deep hole. After that, no one dared try to touch Xiu anymore.

The two enjoyed a quiet lunch as Old John went to the tables to fetch them food. Du Ze stared at the mechanical puppet who smiled as he walked towards them with two plates in his hands, four plates on his arms, two plates on his shoulders, and a plate on his head. Du Ze and Xiu's digestive abilities were far behind Old John's supply speed. A silly, cute person attempted to eat ten plates and was soundly defeated in battle.

"How about something to drink to aid digestion?" Xiu suggested.

Old John was as fast to supply them with drink as he had been to supply them with food. He brought back not just a large amount of drinks but also a rich variety of them. Du Ze looked at the variously colored goblets. His eyes were confused by all the choices. Xiu stretched out his hand, picked up a goblet filled with a pale liquid, and offered it to Du Ze.

"I remember that you liked the taste of this."

Du Ze automatically took the goblet. He smelled a faint fruity bouquet that seemed familiar but gave him a strange feeling.

"This is a fruit wine." Old John laughed and went on to explain like a teacher expounding on a popular science topic: "Its production process is simple, the flavor is mellow, and when one drinks it, one feels very warm. Because of this, mercenary soldiers like this drink a lot."

Du Ze finally remembered when he had drunk this wine. When they climbed up Snow Mountain, Eddie gave him this wine. Du Ze drank a mouthful from the goblet. The familiar fruity fragrance filled his mouth and the warmth of the wine flowed down his throat, making him want to drink another mouthful.

A few more mouthfuls and he could already see the bottom of the goblet. Du Ze put down the empty cup and a new one appeared in front of him.

"There's a lot more here." Xiu made an effort to persuade him.

Du Ze stared at the corners of Xiu's mouth that were turned up at an angle. He didn't know why but he felt an inexplicable sense of oncoming danger. A silly, cute person cautiously asked: "You aren't going to drink?"

"I'll drink." Xiu gave the goblet to Du Ze and he also picked up a cup of fruit wine for himself.

When he saw what was happening, Old John seemed to want to say something but stopped himself: "Little Master, drinking will lead to..."