Chapter 53.2 - Reader : The call from the artifact

A black dragon with the dragon spear

Xiu and Du Ze dismounted and walked towards the black dragon. Up close, they saw that the dragon's body was unusually large. Du Ze's entire body was only as big as half of its claw. He touched the dragon's scales; they were as hard as armor. Xiu climbed up to one of its front paws, the silver-blue dragon spear in front of him.

The voice calling out to him was becoming louder and louder. Xiu clutched his temple, wrinkled his brows, and grabbed the handle of the spear with his other hand.

The noise quieted down. Xiu took his hand from his temple. Beneath the hand that was touching the dragon spear, a feeling rose up and made all the blood in his body surge as though it was communicating with something. He fell into a trance. This dragon spear recognized him, or recognized something in his blood.

Before he realized it, Xiu had pulled out the dragon spear. Du Ze felt that the black scale under his hand was no longer like cold steel. It began to warm up and the dragon's body started moving slightly. It felt ... alive. Du Ze had no time to react before Xiu jumped down and grabbed him, quickly running away.

"Hilda-"

The roar echoed in the cave, like thunder. Du Ze was shocked to see the black dragon come alive - how can it still be alive?! Xiu stared at the black dragon's nilin. It had no wound and the knowledge he gained from touching the dragon spear told him why: the silver-blue dragon spear can cut off time, not just matter. The spear's previous wielder had stabbed the black dragon to seal him, not kill him.

After the black dragon shouted out that name, it looked around in consternation, as if he didn't know why he was here. When the black dragon saw Xiu and Du Ze, he smashed his front paws into the stone ground and stretched out his long neck, staring angrily at the two men below.

"Where's Hilda? Tell me where Hilda is!"

Du Ze saw that the black dragon was blind in one eye; a long scar ran across its left eye. The black dragon's remaining right eye looked at the dragon spear in Xiu's hands and its expression became ferocious.

"You can wield it? What's your relationship with Hilda? Are you her new dragon rider?"

The Black Dragon opened his mouth angrily, as if to swallow Xiu.

"First an elf, now a human! Why does Hilda always sign contracts with you tiny creatures? Even getting rid of me. You don't deserve Hilda. She's mine!"

When the dragon had angrily roared out that name, Du Ze had thought Hilda was his enemy, but now he knew he was wrong. Hilda seems to be a female dragon that the black dragon likes but he was sealed in here by Hilda after they quarreled.