Chapter 17.1 - Protagonist : He is mine

Moses elbowed his companion: “Hey, you said that the City Lord summoned us to do something? What is it?”

“I don’t know,” said his companion.

“I know,” the person in front of him said mysteriously. “There is a businessman who sent news that there is a rare monster around. The City Lord wants us to capture it.”

“The whole squad was assembled to capture it. Is that spirit beast very fierce?” Moses licked his lips. His purple eyes are glittering because he loves to fight.

“We don’t know that. All we know that it is a very precious type.” Alan shrugged. He was equally excited and said: “Hopefully it won’t disappoint us – oh, the captain is here.”

The captain greeted the others then announced the City Lord’s orders.

Moses and Alan looked at each other with confusion in both their eyes.

“Did I hear it wrong? We’re going to capture a gnome?”

*******

“I have not betrayed you – I wanted to sell this thing,” Du Ze stammered, trying to explain and holding out the box for Xiu to look at: “Believe me … okay?”

The sound of his voice echoed among the rocks and cliffs. Du Ze unblinkingly stared at Xiu, desperate entreaty written in his eyes. He knew that what he was saying now sounded phony, like something he made up to save his life. Among all the races, gnomes were the most suspicious; they are very curious and paranoid. Du Ze could only helplessly look at Xiu’s shadow, like a death row prisoner waiting for the final verdict.

Dan laughed in a mocking way and said to Xiu: “Yes, your excellency, you have misunderstood. We were talking about selling the ‘box’.”

Even though his words seemed to lend credence Du Ze’s explanation, his manner was saying: “If you believe such an inferior excuse, then you are just too stupid.”

Xiu shot a look at Dan then opened his mouth to speak to Du Ze. However, the black-haired youth opposite him interrupted: “I cannot hear.”

“My ears are bad,” said Du Ze. His heart was broken at having to admit that he had been trying to conceal his disability. All this time he had been acting silly and cute, using his social barrier to prevent the collapse of the noble, glamorous image he wanted to project. Not knowing if the other can understand, Du Ze ripped off his headphones: “This is a hearing aid, it has no energy, so I can’t hear right now.”

It was a hearing aid that could help him hear all the sounds around him, but he could not hear the answer he wanted to hear the most – even if the answer spelled out his doom.

“Do you believe me?”

For the first time, Xiu’s expression changed. His eyes still had no discernable temperature, like something inorganic. He looked at Du Ze, shook his head slowly and gently spoke a few words: “…”

When Xiu shook his head, Du Ze felt as though he had fallen into a mountain of snow. His entire body was stiff and hopelessly frozen with despair.

Why isn’t he willing to believe in him?

Du Ze thought foolishly: Am I so untrustworthy? He had tried so hard to get closer to the protagonist and went all out to show goodwill. He thought he had a special place in the protagonist’s heart, but was it unrequited love from beginning to end? Just because of Dan’s machinations, all of his previous efforts were completely disregarded.