Chapter 43.2 - Reader : Wine can warm you up

When Xiu nodded, Eddie breathed a sigh of relief and he quickly made camp. The two men sat down and though they were face to face, there was an invisible boundary dividing them. Eddie looked across at the silly, cute ball that had frozen into an icicle, hesitated, then pulled out a canteen from his pack. He offered it to him.

"Take a sip, it will warm you up."

Xiu was the one who took the canteen. Unscrewing the cap, Xiu saw that it was full of wine. Du Ze saw Xiu drink a mouthful then pass it to him. It seems he agreed?

Du Ze rarely drinks. Basically, he only drinks a few mouthfuls when he is with his parents during the holidays. Wine can give the body the illusion of warmth and, since Du Ze was really cold, he took the canteen and began drinking.

The first mouthful wine was full of a fruity fragrance. It didn't seem too strong and even Du Ze, who was a novice at drinking, felt that it was good to drink.

Eddie breathed a sigh of relief. Somehow he always felt that he was hated by the other two people. Eddie took out another canteen from his bag. Xiu coldly refused it, so the gray-haired young man also began to drink up.

The snow-capped mountains were very quiet at night. The two moons were close together and the moonlight was very bright.

"You ... you are called Xiu, right?" As if he didn't expect to get an answer from the grim-looking elf, Eddie continued without waiting for a reply: "I had a brother who was also called Xiu."

Probably because of the wine, Eddie started talking more and more. Whether it's because of that familiar name or because he was just drunk, Eddie began to confide in the stranger. There were a lot of pent-up emotions in his heart.

"He was dazzling and everyone liked him ... including Rose." Eddie was silent for a while and then said, "I'm jealous of him."

"Rose is my companion. I grew up with her and that guy. I love Rose, but from beginning to end, she only saw that person. Even when that man changed, Rose came running happily to me and said 'I'm going with him'." Eddie covered his face with the canteen. "So I made a mistake."

On the silent snowy peak, Eddie's hoarse words reverberated in the dim light of night.

"I betrayed my dear brother."1

Eddie knocked out Rose then told the Temple of Light to go to the graveyard. After he did this, he was not happy but felt endless confusion. Year after year this confusion gradually worsened until it became bone-chilling remorse.

"I don't dare to love Rose anymore, I just want to find that guy and give Rose back to him," he said.

A liquid dripped down onto the snow but it was not the wine.

From beginning to end, Xiu's expression did not change. He looked coldly at Eddie who was shedding tears of remorse, but the tears couldn't form any ripples in Xiu's heart. Eddie's voice grew smaller until he was murmuring words too soft to hear, utterly sunk in his own world. Xui seemed to be bored. He looked over at Du Ze then he was stunned.

Du Ze was holding the empty canteen and kept raising it to his lips even though there was no more wine. In contrast to his comical movements was his earnest expression. The dark-haired young man still had a solemn expression on his face and didn't look tipsy at all.