Asking...

"DRACO!" Narcissa Malfoy ran over to her son and fell to her knees at his side. "Draco my baby, please be okay."

"I'm okay," said Draco, though anyone with eyes could see that he wasn't.

Hermione looked at the two of them and knew why Draco could not leave his mother. Narcissa Malfoy-who had always seemed cold and hard to Hermione-was looking down at her injured son like he was the only thing that mattered in the world. Draco in turn was looking back with an expression of love and relief as if he knew she would fix him and make him better.

"What happened?" Narcissa asked, then before Draco could answer continued. "I never should have let you go out there on your own I should have come with you or sent Snape with you or...or"

"You couldn't have," said Draco shaking his head slightly and wincing from the motion.

The lines on Narcissa's face tightened and hands fluttered over Draco trembling above the burns.

"So much pain..." A  single tear fell from Narcissa's eye. 

As if noticing that she was not alone in the room with her son her eyes met Hermione's for a brief moment and Narcissa wiped the tear away aggressively turning away from Hermione and back to Draco.

 Narcissa squared here shoulders and stood. Waving her wand she carefully levitated Draco over to the bed and lay him down.

"She shouldn't be here when you are weak," said Narcissa without looking at Hermione. "She is a danger to you."

"She's fine," said Draco dismissively. His tone was so convincing that Hermione felt a slight pang at the words.

Narcissa shook her head at his response though she was obviously to preoccupied with Draco to care enough in that moment to argue. 

Narcissa was quick and efficient. Her movements meticulous. 

Hermione watched her cast healing spells one after another in quick succession. If she didn't dislike the woman so much Hermione would have been impressed.

When Draco let out a sigh of relief Narcissa finally paused from her work.

"Thank you," he mumbled.

"What happened?" Narcissa finally voiced the question Hermione had been dying to ask. She needed to know what happened. What had transpired that had made the bind go so terrifyingly silent.

"The Dark Lord sent me to deliver a package as you know," said Draco. "And then the order showed up."

"The order?" Hermione's head snapped up.

The order had been there?

 "Who was? Are they okay?" fear for her friends and their wellbeing overwhelmed her.

"I didn't kill anyone if that's what you're asking," snapped Draco sneering. 

Hermione saw the look in his eyes and knew that the harshness in his tone was not entirely an act this time. 

She had hurt him by asking.

"I didn't mean it like that I-"

"Silencio," cast Narcissa stopping Hermione mid sentence.

Hermione balked.

No one had ever cast a silencio on her while she was speaking, though she had no doubt some people had desired to over the years. It felt like a slap in the face and all the power that Draco had given her back, the wand, the autonomy felt like it was ripped away from her in that simple spell.