Through the Bind

Draco woke slowly blinking away the fog from his vision. He was laying in his bed tucked in neatly between the covers.  The pain hit him almost immediately, making him wish the fog would return.

His mother was sitting at his side, her face pulled tight with worry.

"Draco," she leaned forward and put an hand to his forehead. "Good, you're awake," she let out an audible sigh. "How do you feel?"

"Like crap," he answered honestly, his vocal chords still ached from screaming.

Memories of what had happened came rushing back all at once.

He was lucky to be alive, if you could call it that.

He remembered hanging, suspended in the air as Voldemort cursed him again and again. He had never felt anything like that before.

And his mother...she had risked the Dark Lord's wrath...had actually struck Voldemort in order to save his life.

Gratitude washed over him for her actions.

Then his mind continued to what had happened next.

He had given up his friend...

"Is Vincent?" Draco managed

"Dead," Narcissa answered his question without making him spell it out.

Draco looked away.

"You did the right thing," Narcissa tried to reassure.

Of course you would say that mother, you betrayed him first to save me.

"Turning over my friend to be tortured and killed. Yes, that sound like the 'Right thing' to do," said Draco his voice dripping with disdain and sarcasm.

Hermione...

He had tried to save her and then...something had stopped him.

Draco threw off the covers getting out bed, and found himself in just his boxers. His arm was wrapped and bandages coated a good deal of his torso.

"Draco!" his mother snapped.

"What?"

The air hit him and he shivered.

"Get back in bed," Narcissa ordered.

"No," said Draco suddenly hit with a simple priority. His last memory was of Voldemort walking towards Hermione. "Where is Granger?"

"Down in the cellar," She answered as if it were obvious.

She's alive.

Relief rushed through him and he wobbled on his feet.

"Sit down this instant," his mother ordered and pushed him down onto the bed. 

Draco's head was pounding form both pain and relief.

she was alive. That was all that mattered. He stopped. No, that was not all that mattered. She needed to be safe and the cellar was NOT a safe place for her.

Draco's stomach dropped.

"Why is she there?" he managed to ask through strangled vocal chords.

"Well she couldn't be up here, not while you were unconscious. I wouldn't have been able to leave you alone with her in the room for one moment after what she did to Crabbe."

"She wouldn't stab me," defended Draco.

"She stabbed Crabbe for copping a feel how much worse will she do to you given the opportunity and what you've done."

Draco looked away, his mother didn't know about what he had and hadn't done with Hermione. What she believed or thought he might have done though...

I would deserve it for what I've done...

Granger wouldn't do that...she wouldn't.

She might, she wants to get back to her friends. If she took you out of the equation she could go to them without a worry.

She wouldn't, he protested.

After what you brought her back to she might.

Somehow the idea that Hermione could be altered from being unfailingly 'Good' was more distressing than the idea of her turning a wand on him.

He wanted to preserve the good in her as much as he wanted to keep her breathing.

What is wrong with you? He asked himself frowning. Since when was preserving 'good' the goal?

"Draco?" his mother asked quietly questioning his sudden silence.

His mother's words made sense to him even though the fact that his mother thought him capable of what she was suggesting rotted his stomach.

Hermione is strong enough. She is good. She will stay good, he tried to convince himself.

There is only so far a person can be pushed before they break.

How long would it be before the Granger he admired was twisted into something beyond recognition. He felt suddenly dizzy and lay back. He heard the panicked intake of breath from his mother.

"Are you alright?" asked Narcissa touching his arm lightly.

"I'm fine," Draco managed. "Aren't I?"

"Your ribs were broken and your arm, but both are mending."

"Well thank Merlin for that," said Draco dryly. Then he turned his head to his mother.

They may not see eye to eye on Granger, but his mother had saved him. Risked her life in order to save his. She loved him.

 "Thank you for sticking up for me," he said meaning it. If she hadn't intervened when she had he would likely be dead.

"Rest," Narcissa ordered with a small smile at his words. "I'll get you something to eat."

"Okay," Draco answered, closing his eyes and leaning back.

He had been right.

The one thing he could count on was his mothers love.

That's why you couldn't leave her behind, he thought closing his eyes. She deserves your loyalty.

She deserves the love of a better son.

No sooner had his mother left the room than Draco felt his stomach clench through the bond.

Fear.

Pain.

Anger.

Slammed into his chest making it hard to breath.

Granger...

She was in trouble.

He could feel it.

There was no resisting the pull-not because it was too strong, but because Draco wouldn't stand by knowing she was in danger.

He stood again and the room swam.

You are too weak, his rational mind argued.

I don't care.

You're going to get yourself killed.

He grabbed his wand and waved it dressing in a split second

Like I said, he answered himself looking in the mirror, I don't care.

Draco apparated to the cellar where he was greeted by two motionless bodies laying on the floor.

-

If you enjoyed this chapter please leave some love and also if you love my writing please take a second to check out and leave a comment on my original story "Blemished" It was selected as a top 10 finalist for the ShawRocketFund Competition and I am really looking for some feedback and to see if people would actually enjoy reading a novel version of it, so please, pretty please go check it out and give some love and feedback Its on my profile or here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/239486795-blemished