The Happy Prince

**AUTHORS NOTE-PLEASE READ**:      

Above is a video of the full story of "The happy Prince" by Oscar Wilde Read by the one and only Stephen Fry (who has a wonderful voice and does a marvelous job.) If you are not familiar with this story I recommend please taking a moment to listen to the story (or go read it if you prefer reading) While it is not completely necessary to know this story in order to enjoy this chapter it will be referenced several times continuing on through this story and because of that  YOU WILL GET MORE out of certain parts of this fanfic if you have actually read/listened to it.

...Also its a beautiful classic and worth experiencing just in its own right.

Okay, hope you enjoy. happy reading.

-

Hermione proceeded to tell Draco the story of the Happy Prince in vivid detail.

As she got into the telling her hands began to move along with the words and Draco felt a tightness in his chest as his heart filled with affection for the child-like wonder she had at the story. He caught a glimpse of a side of her he had never seen before and it was so pure and innocent.

He would do anything to preserve that side of her.

He was amazed that it was still there and still a part of her. Despite everything she had been through here she had kept that part of herself somewhere safe inside.

As Draco listened he noted that despite being described as a children's story it was actually quite a sad piece and Draco could only partial understand why she liked it.

Yet there was something oddly touching and somehow strangely relatable for Draco in the story. 

The Prince was just a statue, why on earth do you feel a kinship with the character? Draco frowned at himself.

Because sometimes you feel like statue on display, his mind answered back. He had spent so much of his life as a good son to a proper family-which involved a lot of standing silently and looking perfect. He remembered how happy his mother always was when people complimented her on how well she had done when Draco stood beside her.

He had always felt proud at the compliments and seeing his mother so happy and pleased with him. She always treated him like a prince when he was well behaved.

He remembered her sitting up at the table with him in the middle of the night while he ate ice cream with a spoon and let out all the energy that had been pent up inside while the guests were over. She would listen patiently then to anything that he wanted to talk about. 

Those nights were some of his favorites memories.

Hermione let out a sigh, having finished the story and sat back in her chair, flushed and happy. 

She nibbled on her roll-there was still half the steak on her plate when she put the cutlery on it and pushed it away slightly.

"Aren't you going to finish that?" Draco asked slightly concerned.

"I can't," she admitted ruefully. "It's delicious but I'm stuffed. My stomach isn't used to such a big and rich meal anymore."

Guilt wracked him and she clearly saw it on his face because she reached out to him clasping his hand across the table.

Her touch burned into him.

He wanted to turn his hand over to lace his fingers through hers. Instead he enjoyed the small contact and the feel of her thumb stroking over the back of his hand.

"Draco, please don't feel bad right now, this was a lovely dinner and I am happy you thought of me," her eyes sparkled up at him.

If she were anyone else he would have leaned across the table and kissed her right then and there. 

But it was Granger which meant that he wanted to lean over and kiss her more than anyone else he had ever known, and it also meant that he couldn't.

As much as it pained him he gently extracted his hand from beneath hers and poured them each a final glass, emptying the bottle. By the time they were done Granger was smiling a slightly bleary smile and yawning.

He wanted to keep talking.

He wanted the night to never end.

It was like there was nothing else in the world and they were just two young people on a date enjoying a dinner together and good conversation.

It wasn't like any date he had ever had before, and yet he knew no date he ever went on in the future would ever live up to this evening with her and the sweet smile she directed his way.

But, it was clear that she was tired and he did need to go and check on Fred.

"Let's get you to bed," Draco said gently. "Before you turn into a pumpkin."

"Okay," agreed Hermione, smiling with half open eyes.

 She stood up and wobbled loosing balance. 

Draco moved faster than he knew possible and caught her up in his arms, pulling her to his chest. 

She laughed and nuzzled into his shoulder. 

Draco stiffened.

"You smell good," she said and inhaled deeply.

"Thanks," said Draco trying to ignore the sensations her touch was inducing. 

"I like you when you're not an asshole," she said.

 Draco froze. 

'I like you.'

His heart thudded in his chest and his body hardened in response to her words. Gods, to hear her say it, even prefaced with that qualifier.

"I like you too Granger," he managed. I love you actually.

"Mmmmmm," she said and he felt her relax into his arms. 

Without extra thought he lifted her into his arms bridal style. She wrapped her arms around his neck and curled in against his body. It felt amazing to have her in his arms nestled into him like that's where she wanted to be.

Fuck she feels so good.

Draco carried her effortlessly over to her pallet and laid her down gently, wrapping the blankets around her gently and tucking her in.

"Gniight Draco..." she murmured.

"Goodnight...Hermione," he saw her smile faintly before her face relaxed and her breathing evened with sleep.

Draco knelt by her side just watching her for a moment.

She is the most beautiful being in this entire world...

He sighed.

How could I not love her?

With that thought he stood and went to the table. His stomach growled as he looked at the several ounces of steak there waiting. He picked up his second roll and popped the leftover steak on his bun and took a bite as he went over to the wardrobe. 

He had never been one for sharing food, but he was hungry and somehow it didn't bother him to share with Granger, besides he was hungry and even his head was feeling a little light from half a bottle of wine on a mostly empty stomach.

He spared on glance at Hermione before stepping inside his wardrobe and closing the door tightly behind him.

-

The moon was humongous in the sky and there was meteor shower shining overhead. Draco's feet wanted to stop to enjoy the salty air and the light show over head. Instead he pushed forward.

It had been a whole day since he had checked on Fred and a part of Draco was desperately worried that in his absence the redhead might have taken a turn for the worse.

Don't let yourself think that, he tried to reassure himself as he crossed the dock and entered his little hut.

Its going to be fine, he gripped the vial of "Pepping powder" tightly in his one hand and placed his hand on the doorknob.

"Please let this work," he muttered.

He opened the door and was greeted by darkness.

Panic took hold of him.

The lamp was supposed to be on.

Had something happened to Fred?

Had his magic failed?

Draco reached for his wand to illuminate the room and a fist came from the darkness landing squarely on his Jaw.

-

Hope you enjoyed this weeks bonus chapter. Have a lovely long weekend folks. Leave some love if you can and I look forward to seeing you Monday!