The Errand

Longest Chapter yet, so much work went in. Hope you enjoy.

-

Draco's pupils were dilated, that was the first thought that Hermione had as she watched them contract rapidly before he looked away from her and towards the door.

Panic seized Hermione.

No one can see you like this, she thought, her body was frozen in fear for a moment. Fight or flight warring.

Draco's head swung back towards her, his face a perfect mask.

Hermione felt the panic well and she pulled back.

Draco arms turned to stone, not letting her leave.

What? No! 

Lucius entered the room.

Hermione tried to pull back.

Because Draco had not let her go by  the time Lucius looked their way it was the site of Hermione struggling that greeted his eyes. 

Lucius footfalls stuttered and he looked entirely flustered by the scene. 

Instead of looking away or seeming embarrassed Lucius seemed...intrigued which made Hermione want to vomit.

"That was locked for a reason," said Draco, his tone as hard as his arms around her. "Namely I don't like people barging in."

"Yes well I knocked," said Lucius smoothing out his hair, his eyes were still on Hermione and she fought the urge to curl into Draco for protection.

"Stop fussing," Draco snapped at her and Hermione went still.

Lucius laughed.

"You seem to have tamed her."

Draco sneered and she felt the gentlest of touches again the small of her back, his hand trying to sooth her where Lucius could not see.

The gentle touch made Hermione shiver and she saw a muscle flex in Draco's jaw in response.

"What do you want?" ground out Draco. 

She could feel how unhappy he was about the intrusion into his room and Hermione was well aware of why: Aside from it being his father in his room, he was upset because they had just gotten back in time for Lucius to enter. If they had been any longer away his father would have entered an empty room.

"You are to come downstairs at once, the Dark Lord has an errand for you," said Lucius.

"I'll be right down," said Draco.

"Now Draco," said Lucius.

Draco looked down at Hermione.

"I was in the middle of something," he said it in a lecherous tone, and yet she could see in his eyes that he was terrified to go down to the dark Lord.

Which made everything he had done for her seem so much more impressive. He didn't rush in fearlessly like Harry and the others so often did. Draco was doing all of this despite being afraid.

He is so...Brave.

Gryphindor's were known as lion hearted. 

Draco was no slithering little creature, he was a dragon.

"You can do that later," said Lucius. "She's not going anywhere."

An unease coupled with the nausea she had been feeling just a few moments ago. 

Why do I feel like something is about to go terribly wrong?

It's because you've had too many days without something going bad. Too many good moments in a row, she replied back to herself..

An errand for the dark Lord couldn't be a good thing, it just couldn't.

Hermione wanted to tell Draco not to go. Her fingers tightened reflexively on his shirtsleeves.