Snape's Confrontation

Draco went downstairs.

There were still bodies strewn around in the main hall and he sidestepped them, his stomach turning as he recognized faces of both friend and foe...people on both sides of lines were getting harder and harder to distinguish. 

He made his way to the dining room where he could hear the voices of his family. They all fell silent as he entered the room. Draco took note of the fact that Snape was in attendance. He didn't remember seeing his mentor there during his time being tortured and wondered why he was here now.

"You should be resting," his mother said her voice hollow.

"Thank you but I feel quite refreshed from my recent activities," he said in a biting tone.

His mother's face tightened and she looked away.

Draco felt a stab of guilt for being cruel to his mother.

She's the reason why you had to create that illusion in the first place.

No, you are, he argued back. You couldn't keep your big fat mouth shut.

"Is HE still here?" Draco asked turning to his aunt Bellatrix.

"The Dark Lord had other things to attend to," Bellatrix answered and Draco couldn't help but notice that she sounded slightly wistful.

Left behind were we? he found himself thinking viciously and was glad he had the wherewithal to bite his tongue against letting that particular sentence slip out.

He might hate her now, but he was smart enough to know that it was much better and safer to be his aunts little darling than it was to be her enemy.

"Well," said Draco. "I for one am famished."

"Then you should make yourself something to eat," said his mother tightly and she walked out of the room her heels clicking behind her.

"Sissy!" said Bellatrix. "What's wrong?"

There was no answer and Bellatrix turned towards Lucius.

"You better go after her and figure it out," she ordered. "I haven't got the time just now," she said and dissaparated.

Lucius glanced at Draco and Snape and then followed his wife out of the room.

There was an awkward silence and Draco met Snape's eyes.

"I heard what you did," said Snape.

"Did you?" shot Draco.

"Yes," Snape stepped towards him. "And I must say...." He glanced around. "I am impressed with how you handled yourself," he pulled out his wand and cast some kind of a barrier in the air and then stepped forward and grabbed Draco by the throat.

"I did not think you had it in you to stoop so low," Snape's voice came out an a very uncharacteristic growl.

"Let go," Draco ordered.

"She was an innocent girl."

Snape was sworn to protect Draco-a fact that Draco chose to rely on now.

He would tell his mentor the truth without risk of Snape running off to tell Voldemort. 

"She still is!" Draco said through strangled chords.

Snape dropped him.

"Explain," Snape stepped back.

Draco coughed, Snape had not be gentle with him.

"I didn't know choking me counted as protection," said Draco rubbing his throat.

"You were never in any real danger and a good knock upside the head would likely help you use that brain of yours. Now, Explain."