Monsters

This chapter is a bit of a rollercoaster just as a heads up.

-

"Come here." 

Draco blinked at the beautiful woman looking at him with open arms and his mouth went dry.

Bad idea, his mind warned.

He knew it was dangerous...

And yet his legs were already carrying him over to her, as if he were completely helpless against the pull of her.

He hesitated as he crouched down and so Hermione raised herself up so that she could wrap her arms around his neck in a hug. He could feel her balance sway as she clung to him, her lithe body pressed tight against his.

His arms itched to hold her. He fought against the desire knowing the more he touched her the more he would want to touch her.

"It's going to be okay," she muttered against his shoulder, her one hand rubbing the top of his shoulder soothingly.

 Her words cut through him. She was able to say out loud what he wished he could. Neither of them knew if things were going to be okay. They could die tomorrow.

Yet hearing her say it made Draco want to crumble into her in a completely different way. She squeezed him tightly and Draco found his arms coming up to wrap around her back the ache in them finally satisfied.

He clung  to her, his arms tightening to the point he was worried he would hurt her, but she just kept running her fingers back and forth over his tense shoulders.

His head dropped down and he burring his face in her hair closing his eyes.

"Its going to be okay Draco," she said again, this time a little more breathlessly.

He wanted to believe her.

Her arms around him felt like safety. They made the load he had been carrying feel so much lighter. His chest ached. He never wanted to let go.

You can't do this, the thought cut through and brought him back to a reality where it was far to dangerous for Draco to let her comfort him like this. He couldn't afford it.

She couldn't afford it.

She is too kind for her own good, he shook his head mentally and tried to order himself to let go of her.

You need to make the Weasel some food, he tried to think of something other than the beautiful woman in his arms.

It would have worked if Hermione had not chosen that exact moments to sigh contentedly.

Draco's eyes rolled behind closed lids. 

That sound. Oh gods that sound as he was holding her had that gentle need to be held by her turning into a sharp burn to hold her in his arms with her on her back beneath him so he could kiss and touch every inch of her until she made more and more of those little noises.

He would have her sighing contentedly by the end....

and moaning all the way through.

Goddammit Draco get ahold of yourself, he ordered. This was not the time or the place and she was too tired and tipsy to be thinking straight.

"You should sleep," said Draco slowly pulling back from her embrace.

"Okay," she yawned, very aggreably. "Are you going to be okay though?"

When you say we will be I feel like we might, Draco answered her silently.

"Sleep," he ordered gently ignoring the question. "I'll bring you some water."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

-

As Draco grabbed some food from the kitchen-things that he thought would be nurturing without being too heavy for Fred-the plan to make a passageway between the cellar and the oasis came back to him niggling relentlessly at the back of his mind.