Selfish

Hello Lovely humans, Going to spend some time getting caught up replying to everyone's comments today. I appreciate each and every one of you.  updates this week are today Friday and then Special Final update on my birthday on Saturday. Hope you enjoy this nice LONG chapter.

-

Daylight faded into night as Hermione stood at the window staring at the spot she had seen Fred last. She had watched him run into the woods and disappear from view and a part of her could not look away, as if somehow looking out after him would keep him safe.

Please let him be okay, she silently prayed.

Finally she forced herself away and turned to see Draco standing just a few feet away, staring at her with an odd expression on his face.

"What?" she demanded a little more harshly than intended and she winced at her own tone.

The truth was that she was scared for Fred and if he would be okay; scared for how things were going to change when they came to rescue her in a few days, and scared of her own emotions how much thinking about Draco's rejection last night hurt.

It didn't bode well for her tonal control at the moment.

"Nothing," Draco said. "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare."

Her blood heated with frustration.

You shouldn't be looking at me like that, she thought angrily, not if you don't want me.

"I don't understand you Draco," Hermione shook her head. She twined her fingers in her curls and made a fist tugging on her own hair in response to the feeling that her scalp was too tight and enjoying the slight zing of pain which for a moment took her focus away from that queasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. 

Why are you provoking him? She didn't know why she was talking.

Why she didn't just close her mouth?

Why did she have to pick a fight with him?

She knew she was pushing him...

And yet she felt like she was sitting in the back seat with someone else driving. 

She could not help her own actions and that only made things more tumultuous inside because Hermione had always liked control. 

Right now she felt utterly out of control, powerless to help her friend and forced to sit and wait to be rescued like a damn damsel in distress.

She hated it.

"That makes two of us,"  Draco muttered in response.

"What?" Hermione asked grumpily. She was pretty sure she had heard him right, but it was one hell of a cop out of an answer and Hermione wasn't in the mood for games. 

She was pissed and tired and scared and just wanted to go home.

Seeing Fred just jump out the window had made her want to do the same. It had made her question herself as to why she hadn't done it herself before things got complicated and...emotional with Draco. She knew why she wasn't jumping now...but why hadn't she tried harder before. A small piece of her hated herself for not trying harder.

You tried to escape, she consoled herself. Twice.

And you would have made it if it weren't for the bind.

"I said that makes two of us," Draco dragged his hand through his hair. "I barely recognize myself anymore when I look in the mirror and it's not just because of the scar."