A Day Apart

Hermione had woken to a lavish breakfast warm and waiting for her. She had eaten it bit-by bit at the day progressed, savoring the fruit and the bagel and the eggs and bacon. As she looked at the plate she thought about what she had seen in Draco's mind.

He had made her breakfast every day that she had been here.

It was such a simple thing...and yet...it meant the world.

He didn't just bring her a 'glass of water and a crust of bread'

He brought her good food.

He took time. He put in effort.

And this morning's meal...she could see the extra effort.

Her fingers fluttered over the parchment on his desk enjoying the feel of it.

He had sat here and written to her. She could see the struggle on his face as he crumpled up each one. She reached into her pocket and retrieved the note that had been in her sock. The one that had alerted her to the fact that she had lost a day-that there was something missing.

The ink was smeared and she ran her thumb over the lines of text.

He cared.

She closed her eyes.

It was a strange feeling to be in Draco's room without any restraints. The little chain he had hooked around her ankle so many times was only a memory. She felt free and yet tethered.

Even though there was nothing stopping her from leaving the idea of leaving now felt like a betrayal and after everything that Draco had done for her...she would not betray him like that. 

He had risked everything for her.

And yet he pulled away when you kissed him, she thought miserably and her cheeks heated.

She needed to get out of this place, it was warping everything in her head. 

Her friends had come for her once, how long until they tried again?

Would they try again?

"Of course they will," she whispered to herself and began pacing.

It wasn't long before Hermione found herself browsing through Draco's books. With the exception of a few wizarding classics and a great number of biographies, his shelves contained almost exclusively wizarding history. Hundreds and hundred of volumes. 

She glanced at several and saw they had a decidedly 'Pureblood' bend to them.

She frowned until she found a section on potions masters through the ages.

Happy for something to read she pulled out one biography after another.

By the time lunch rolled around she was almost finished the first book and her eyes were in need of a break.

Hermione looked to the door, and felt an odd pull.

She missed Draco.

She had almost expected a note from him to be waiting for her with her breakfast. It's absence coupled with his absence was making her anxious.

Where was he?

Its your fault he's staying away, her mind chimed. He tried to be there for you after the nightmare and you pushed him away. You shut him out and right after he let you in. How do you suppose that made him feel?

Hermione rubbed her face.

Up until that moment she hadn't thought about how Draco might think things one sided with him letting her into his mind and her not even being willing to speak to him after a nightmare.