A Moment's Peace

I decided to do one extra/early update this week. I hope you all enjoy it. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to leave love and comments and support. This one is for you folks.

-

"I hope..." Draco said, speaking to the unconscious boy "I hope for all our sake's you wake."

His words went unanswered in the tiny room.

Please get better, his mind silently added.

Draco closed the door to Fred's room and locked it behind him putting the bookcase back into place in front of the room.

He sighed and sunk to the floor. The nap had barely helped, he felt utterly drained.

Performing all the magic wasn't helping either.

The wand he had made it easier. Spells he knew and knew well were flowing through him with an ease he had never known, and yet it was still draining to perform such tasks.

You're wearing yourself thin, and for what?

For the chance to help her, he answered.

Draco turned away from his thoughts and stepped back out onto the beachfront. 

This time the fresh sea breeze reached him in a way it hadn't when he had brought Fred into his realm. Draco closed his eyes drawing the scent into his lings and trying to let the outside world fade away.

You are safe here, he told himself and for the first time in days he felt it-Safe.

You should bring her here...

No
, he answered back.

He wasn't ready for Hermione to see this.

This was the one place in the world that he felt safe and he wasn't ready to let anyone know it even existed let alone let someone in.

And yet you brought Fred Weasely here...His snarkier side said.

That's different. He'll never see this part of my place or even know where he is at all.

Draco climbed the large rock on which his towel perpetually rested and leaped into the water fully clothed diving in deep. His body sliced through the water and he touched bottom launching himself forward. The salt in the water stung like a bitch in his cut but he savored the feel of it.

She had apologized for the cut.

Silly little lioness...

He was happy for the cut, it was some kind of payback and it-in a strange way-felt good to have her hit him back. It was also a sign that she still had a fight to her. He wanted her to keep fighting.

 No, He needed  her to keep fighting.

She killed a man...his darker side whispered.

Self defense, he answered back. And you need to make sure she keeps believing that. You need to keep the good alive.

Since when is it your responsibility to keep what's good alive? His mind argued.

Draco broke through the surface with a great gasp and stared at the gorgeous night sky, the rotating planets and gently floating galaxies all magnified to hundreds of times larger than what the naked eye could see outside in the real world. He rolled through the water on to his back floating and staring up at the stars.

When had it become his responsibility to keep the good in her alive?

It isn't your responsibility...it's your choice...

Draco breathed in deep and drifted along with the gentle current of his world which took him in a slow circle around the island.

On his second time floating around he heard the distant sound of chimes signaling his second hour in the oasis.

Begrudgingly Draco rolled on to his front and hissed slightly as fresh salt hit the cut. He had to go back.

When Draco reached the island he stripped down and went inside tapping on the counter immediately to reveal his potions stash.

He plucked out a salve and rubbed it into his various cuts and bruises enjoying the tingling cool sensation. Then he pulled out a second vial and drank down the contents of the healing potion. When he was finished he looked at the vial.

He had struggled with healing potions and some of the potions more associated with light, good magic. He had always been able to manage them, but not with the same potency of some of his other potions.

You'll never be good enough to do pure good magic.

Like a Patronus... he had never managed that one.

Draco had tried on his own, many times, and failed.

That's because you don't have that many happy memories to draw from.

Haven't made any more since you last tried either.

He had been pissed off when he first heard rumors that the other students in 'Dumbledore's army' had managed them. Pissed enough to go back to his dorm room, lock the door and
practice for hours.