Ear Muffs

"It wasn't a nightmare about you."

Draco did not have time to answer or even fully process Hermione's words before his mother entered into the room, all grace and poise. Narcissa's head was high and her hair perfect.

"How are you feeling my darling?" she asked sweeping across the room, a tray of food floating behind her.

"Better than before," answered Draco, he offered his mother a smile despite the physical pain and mental distraction of Hermione's admission. "You did a great job on the burns thank you mother."

"Of course sweetheart," Narcissa came and sat on the bed next to him, careful not to make the mattress move more than necessary. She touched his forehead. "You're warm," she touched his hair. "And your hair is damp."

"I just had a bath," said Draco quickly. He could hear the edge of panic in her voice.

At his response her shoulders relaxed and then she pursed her lips and frowned at him.

"You shouldn't do something like that on your own before you are certain you are well enough," she chided.

"I'm fine mother," said Draco gently then added more quietly "but thank you for the concern." 

Draco reached out and covered his mother's hand with his own and Narcissa squeezed it ever so gently.

A piece of Draco that had been aching from his mother's absence and judgment shifted back into place as she looked at him with love and he felt the sudden knowledge and reassurance that no matter what he did...no matter what happened in all of this his mother would still love him. She would still be there for him and defend him with everything she had.

His life, his father, everything else had beaten him down and made him harder. She...had kept a part of him good. Yes she had her views and biases which Draco no longer shared, but if it weren't for his mother's love there would have been nothing left to save by the time Hermione showed up in his life.

And yet she still hates Granger for what she is with no regard for who she is, the thought brought Draco's mood down.

His mother seemed to notice the change and she pulled her hand from his and used her wand to close the door and lock it.

"You can take off those silly chains now," said Narcissa directing her words at Hermione.

Draco raised an eyebrow and Hermione seemed surprised as well.

"Oh come now," she said looking at both of them as if they were stupid. "Its entirely improbable that you," she gestured to Hermione.  "Have spent the last three weeks in chains wrapped around like that." She turned her attention to Draco. "The chain round the ankle I believed."

"She's still my prisoner," he defended.

"Of that I am aware," said Narcissa. "But I am not a fool so do not take me for one," she let out a dainty little puff of air from her nose indicating her displeasure then looked heavenward "For some reason you care about whether your old classmate lives or dies. Surprising given her lineage and the fact that she interfered with your academic prestige."

Draco winced and then caught his mother looking down her nose at Hermione while simultaneously sizing her up.

The only thing that Narcissa knew about his classmate was that this was the 'Mudblood' who had bested her son in class. The only student in most classes to surpass him. She did not know about the beatings, she never even guessed at them.  Narcissa had scolded Lucius furiously even when it was just a backhand. If there was one thing Draco knew now it was that she would have stopped them had she known. A part of him had believed his father when Lucius had said he deserved it. That part of Draco had been so ashamed...to ashamed of his own weakness to reach out to the woman who had always protected him.