Potions

Draco woke with a crick in his neck.

Morning light was coming in through the window and the first place that his eyes went were to his bathroom door. It was slightly ajar.

A flicker of panic shot through him. Was she gone? Had she left? Was she okay?

He stood too quickly and the room spun. With one steadying hand on the wall he rounded to the other side of his bed and looked down to see Hermione sleeping on her pallet. There was till a little crease between her eyebrows, but at least she no longer looked in distress.

She had stepped past him and gone to bed without waking him after her nightmare which confirmed Draco's fear: The nightmare was his fault. She didn't want anything to do with him.

He reached for a healing potion in his drawer and his hands came back up empty. He had been using more than he had realized and now he had Fred to account for.

You'll just have to make more, he told himself and went downstairs to make breakfast.

Narcissa was in the kitchen.

Draco almost didn't recognize his own mother. Her hair was disheveled and there were dark circles under her red-rimmed eyes.

Her head swung towards him when he entered and she blinked at him as if not fully seeing him.

Draco opened his mouth to say something, anything to the woman who had raised him, who loved him. Who was willing to risk the dark Lord's wrath to keep him safe.

"Mothe-"

She held up a hand silencing him and walked out of the room.

Draco swallowed.

Things are never going to be the same between the two of you, he lamented.

His hands hurried to make Hermione her meal. It was extravagant-much more than he usually made, and yet it didn't feel like enough. Setting it down on the table in his room he picked up a pen to write her a note, figure out something to say...nothing came to him.

He wanted to make the nightmares go away, he wanted things to be better.

Instead he left the note unwritten and went to go and check on Fred.

There didn't seem to be much of a change one way or another from last night which worried Draco. 

At least he isn't worse, Draco thought.

Fred was in a coma, and he was showing no signs of waking. 

He could be like this forever...

"You have to wake up Weasely," Draco muttered as he  cast several more healing spells on Fred. He used the last of his healing potions of the redhead-once again needing to use a spell in order to make the liquid go down.

The tall redhead lay motionless on the bed and Draco felt his stomach knot with worry as the hope wavered. He reached out a hand and felt again for the pulse. 

It was faster and stronger than yesterday wasn't it? 

His skin felt just a little warm...was that life coming back in or a temperature rizing?

If he gets a fever on top of his other injuries he's going to die, He acknowledged to himself.

Fuck.

Draco ran a hand through his hair. He really did not know what to do and he had literally no one whom he could turn to. No one else could know or it would ruin everything.

You could turn to Snape, part of his mind suggested.

Draco immediately dismissed the idea.

It was one thing for Snape to look  out for Draco with regards to Hermione-his mentor seemed to understand that Draco wasn't going to back down from protecting her- and it was another thing for Draco to go around saving every member of the order who happened to cross his path.