Looking Inside

"Let me show you."

Hermione stood shell shocked at Draco's words.

A part of Draco regretted offering it as soon as the words had left his mouth, but he couldn't take them back, not now.

"I don't know legillimency," said Hermione shaking her head. Draco could barely read her expression because her face was blank as if she were in shock.

"But you've studied it haven't you?" he asked her intently.

"Yes," she admitted.

"Well..." Draco took a breath.

You shouldn't do this, you shouldn't even be thinking about doing this, the voice inside him yelled.

She needs to know, he answered back.

Or what? You don't owe her a look inside your head. A part of Draco was absolutely rioting inside. Scared shitless about what he was offering. That side of him was like a wild animal raging at the bars trying to prevent what was happening from actually happening.

I owe her everything...

Draco looked at Hermione and knew, that even though he wanted to vomit he was so nervous he was doing the right thing. He only wished it could feel good doing the right thing instead of feeling like orchestrating his own funeral.

"Try looking in," said Draco.

It took everything within him not to turn heel and run from her, and pretend this had never happened

"I'll let you in..." he said, his voice low. "Like you asked."

Hermione resisted the inclination to let her jaw hit the floor.

Draco Malfoy, who played everything close to the chest and had been keeping even the fact that he cared for her secret from absolutely everyone, save for Snape, was offering her a chance to try and look into his mind.

This is insane, she thought bewildered.

"I'll be open," he continued and she could see how hard it was for him to force the words out. "I won't hold it back from you or push you out. Just..." he ran a hand through his hair. "Please don't go digging through other things."

There was something...a kind of skittish anguish in his voice that made Hermione wonder what he was hiding and if it was something he was hiding from her specifically or from the world.

Do you really want to look inside his head? A part of her questioned.

What if I hurt him somehow?

Hermione valued intelligence and using one's head and the idea of going into someone else's head was simultaneously fascinating, intriguing and terrifying.

What would she see inside Draco?

What if she messed it up somehow?

"I..." she started to protest.

She couldn't do this, it was too risky she had never practiced.

"You're a talented and capable witch Hermione, you know how it works. I have faith in you and your abilities," Draco admitted "And I am guessing this Bind between will make it easy for you to tune into me."

That's the second time he has paid you a compliment.

You should check for a fever, her snide side said sarcastically.

Still, Draco's words made sense to Hermione and the truth was she had studied legilimency and occulancy at length. She hadn't, however, practiced it because she felt going into someone's mind wasn't morally right and because she hadn't had a partner to practice blocking things out.

"How do you know it?" she asked, shifting the subject for a moment.

"Snape," answered Draco. "My mother thought it was important and asked him to train me. He started several years ago with me."

Draco did not mention that his aunt Bellatrix was the one who had first taught him Occulancy and that Snape had only helped polish the skills. He didn't want to remind Hermione of his aunt and that he was so close to the woman who had carved into her flesh.

Hermione thought of Harry and how Harry had talked to her about trying to keep the dark Lord out and here was Draco having done the same training for years. She wondered if Draco was any good at the art.

He probably is, he had Snape for a teacher.

"Have you looked into my mind before?" she asked suddenly curious.

"No," Draco answered with a shake of his head. "And I won't, not now and not unless you ask me to in the future at some point."

Hermione believed him.

"Promise?"

"I promise," Draco ran his hand through his hair again, his nerves showing. "Now do you want to see...the day." Hermione heard the break in his voice and she looked at him quizzically.

This is probably the first time he has let anyone in like this, she told herself. Of course he would be nervous.

He's letting you in.

No, he's just showing me what he stole from me, there is a difference, she told herself, but it didn't feel like there was a difference.

It felt vulnerable.

He had used those words, he had said he was letting her in, that's why it felt so vulnerable.

Draco reached into his robe and handed her a wand that she didn't recognize.

"Where did you get this?" she asked frowning.

"During the fight in the Forbidden forest," he answered. "I thought it might come in useful. I think I won its loyalty it seems quite flexible, so it should work for you at my request."

Hermione turned the wand over in her hand looking at the light brown of the wood. It was a simple design with a waver mid shaft.

"You should keep it," said Draco. "But please don't use it unless you absolutely have to. If they find out that you had a wand and even suspect I knew or gave it to you I won't be able to protect either of us."

"I understand."

Draco stepped towards her.

"I'm trusting you Granger," he said looking at her intently.

He gave a moment for the words to sink in.

Draco blinked down at her and Hermione felt her mouth go dry at the intensity of his gaze.

Then Draco swallowed and then his eyelids dipped down over his eyes leaving him standing defenseless-completely open- in front of her.

You could kill him and escape.

What? Hermione was shocked at herself for even thinking it and hated herself for the thought immediately.

I would never, she answered. He is...my protector.

She raised the wand and then envisioned herself moving forward.

Suddenly Hermione saw herself through Draco's eyes in Draco's bed. He was shirtless and his chest heaving from a nightmare.

-

Just a short update today-the next one is going to be a long one folks. I hope you enjoyed this one and the trust and level of vulnerability about to happen here. Leave some love if you have the time, It is always appreciated.