Time to Talk

So, fun fact... actually accidentally deleted this entire chapter here thanks to doing a bad thing with good ol' copy and paste...which kinda sucked.  So, I had to go back to a much earlier version of this chapter and start the re-writing from scratch...so yeah...if you like this chapter at all please leave some love because it took twice as much work as usually to get it out to you 😰 (It also kinda grew and got longer...)

-

Draco's heart felt like it would pound through his chest. The feel of her hand over top of his chest was simultaneously innocent and intimate. Her fingers lay there gentle and still while ever fiber of his being quivered from the effort of keeping still in order to hold on to the moment as long as humanly possible.

What had gotten into her?

Don't look a fucking gift horse in the mouth Draco, he warned himself as if thinking about it alone could break whatever strange spell had her resting against him like this.

She's here in your arms because she wants to be, It was a strange idea  to Draco-the concept of her wanting to be there.  Did it really matter why? Did it matter if it was just for comfort or if it represented something more?

Stop overthinking and just enjoy it.

Something shifted inside Draco at that last thought.

Let go and enjoy it, he repeated quietly to himself.

Draco closed his eyes and his shoulders relaxed. Hermione let out a sigh and snuggled closer, her fingers flexing with approval against his chest which somehow made Draco feel as if everything in the world was... perfect.

I love you, he mentally whispered.

"Did you say something?" Hermione asked lifting up her head.

"No," Not out loud.

She offered him a smile, one that said she had not actually heard the words he had spoken in his mind but had sensed something different through the bind.

Her hand dropped away from its place over his heart and Draco felt its absence immediately.

Hermione sat up and picked up the book he had been reading plopping it in between them so that one half of the cover rested on his thigh while the other rested on hers.

"Now, what exactly are you trying to do?" she asked all business.

"I need to make a door that is also a secret passageway," Draco answered trying to focus on what she was saying.

"Okay, there's a spell for that right here," she pointed to the page he had stopped on.

"Yes," said Draco, "But I need to adapt it to connect to a wall that doesn't have a door."

"Hmmm, so the first door you would tap on would be the usual and the second would be just a wall-like the walking entrance to Diagon Alley?"

"Exactly," he smiled happy to have someone next to him who could put two and to together without him having to lay everything out in excruciating detail.

"Hmmm, okay. Give me a minute," she said scrunching up her face. "I want to read this," with that she shifted the book over so that it was sitting fully on her lap.

"Okay."

"Could you get me some water?" she asked without looking up, already intensely focused on the task in front of her.

"Sure," Draco stood and felt a total head rush which caught him entirely off guard.

He shot a hand out and caught himself from falling bracing against one arm on the couch. When he looked up he saw Fred watching them from the halfway open door to his room.