Horrors

Hermione screamed and reached for Draco instinctively as her eyes took in the horrors before her.

She realized her error as soon as her limbs began moving towards him.

This is why he was always so cruel, her mind acknowledged silently. This is what he was worried about.

Draco's arm shot out and he strong-armed her to the ground shocking her and sending her to her knees.

It was almost a relief-the fact that he had acted so quickly in rebuffing her. It meant they would believe his actions over hers.

There was a sickeningly wet sound as her hands thwacked against the sticky dark red puddle on the floor.

Hermione lifted her hands and looked at the blood and her eyes were drawn to the face of the nearest body on the floor. She recognized one of the members of the order, a man she had always seen lingering in the background. Her eyes wandered over the faces of others searching for Harry, searching for Ron. She didn't see them, but then...

Hermione screamed.

"Silencio," she heard Draco cast before her voice vanished.

She continued to scream and cry without a sound escaping her.

Fred...

No, this wasn't real. This couldn't be happening.

But it was real and no matter how hard she pressed her nails into the soft skin of her upper arms she would not wake up.

Fred was dead.

Her chest ached.

He had come to save her, come with his brother.

He was like family to her and he had died trying to rescue her. Died because of her.

Tears flowed down her cheeks.

Hermione bawled and the fact that she couldn't hear her own sobs only made things worse.

She closed her eyes trying to block out the horror of the aftermath of battle around her.

"Well?" asked Voldemort, prodding Draco for his silence.

Hermione looked up at Draco as he inhaled.

She watched him regain his composure; watched as the mask slipped back into place.

"I told you," Draco said and Hermione could see the effort it took to put the conviction into his voice.

"Yesssss," hissed the dark Lord. "But SHE," he pointed to Hermione. "Was not here," He struck out with his wand and pain like lighting burned through Hermione. She tried to scream and silence echoed allowed as her mind cried out in pain.

"As soon as the group figured that out they retreated!" Yelled Voldemort. "For which I lay the blame on your shoulders!"

Hermione watched in horror as the dark Lord cast a crucio on Draco. He collapsed to his knees with a scream of pain.

"That is not my fault!" cried Draco when the curse ended. His chest heaving.

"Liar!" Voldemort yelled sending Draco flying backwards.

He's going to punish him because I ran away...

A cry from the side of the room caught Hermione's attention and she saw Draco look over too trying to focus on where the cry had come from.

Narcissa was standing in the corner of the room tending to a large wound on his father's head. Her hands had stilled in their work and her focus was entirely trained on her son.