The Collapse

Happy Friday everyone, hope you enjoy this chapter. Just one more sleep till my birthday and the final update for this book in the series.

-

Draco hadn't known where he had wanted to go, he had merely gone- needing more than anything else just to get away from his house and the look he had seen on Hermione's face in response to his declaration.

What did you expect? He demanded of himself.

He had intended and decided on a slow game. He would do what he could to ease her into the idea of being with him. Used charm and romance and good food and wine and gods, books-so many books to try and win her affections.

Instead he had mucked it all up by loosing control.

What was it about her that she could come into his life so easily and just tear it all apart like it was nothing? How could she get under his skin and into his soul like no one else and why did he not hate her for it?

Shaking off his wet shoes Draco stepped out of the fountain in the back of his families well appointed and groomed yard.

It was dangerous to apparate without thinking, and the first and only thing that had come to his mind was water; likely because of his oasis and how the water there always seemed to calm him. The water of the fountain was hardly as calming or as warm and he was none-to-pleased abou having wet socks.

At least you didn't get yourself splinched, he kicked a stone harshly as he shook the water out of his shoes onto the dry ground next to the fountain. It was never smart to apparate without choosing a location first, that was literally one of the first things everyone was taught about apparating.

You're an idiot, he told himself, though this time he wasn't thinking about the recklessness of his ill planned retreat, rather how he had left in the first place. He felt like a coward running away from her and had no idea what to do or say to go back.

Maybe this is for the best, he told himself. It gives her time to think.

Yeah, time to think about how it would be stupid of her to even consider you.

Thought was the enemy if he wasn't there to convince her that choosing him was a good decision and not the worst option she could possibly fall upon.

Doubt began to crawl in.

Did you see how she looked at you? Things will never be the same between you again and it's all your fault.

Ringing out his socks with a quick spell Draco looked up towards his bedroom window. A part of him wishing he would see her silhouette standing there looking out at him, awaiting his return. He wanted to go back upstairs and just obliviate the last ten minutes from her mind so they could go back to being in a place where they could stay in each others lives. 

She would never forgive you, Draco shook his head. And you would never forgive yourself. Look how much it affected her when you took away a day before, and that was to try and protect her. You would only be protecting yourself if you did it now. Don't even think about messing with her mind.

He wouldn't...couldn't do that to her even though now, thanks to his blurted admission, she wouldn't want anything to do with him as soon as this was over.

She probably doesn't want to have anything to do with you, Draco sat down on the fountain edge. His head was pounding and he clutched it wincing.

Hermione Granger never wanted to have anything to do with you. It's only circumstance that has her here, just like its only circumstance that has her telling you that you're her hero, the truth of his own thoughts was bitter.