A Request for Help

After sitting down for a breakfast together that mostly consisted of Hermione talking while Draco pushed his food absently around his plate Hermione got up to go shower and Draco went to go check on Fred.

The food he had brought last night was untouched and Fred looked as if he had not moved at all.

A little prickle of fear rolled down Draco's spine and he went for the pepping powder.

It took a moment for the powder to work and when it did it had none of the same affect as the first time.

Fred's one eye opened up and he seemed to struggle focusing.

"Where?" he mumbled.

"Safe," Draco answered.

"Malfoy?" There was no recognition from the earlier conversation and Fred took a swat at Draco. Draco dodged easily. Fred strained.

"Hermione!"

"Hermione is fine," Draco tried to reassure the redhead, but Fred's fought, struggling against Draco's grip. Then all at once his eye rolled backward and closed.

Draco put his hand on Fred's forehead.

The fever was back.

"Dammit," Draco muttered. He hoped when Fred was better he would remember the conversation from yesterday. He wasn't mad at Fred for not remembering while half delirious and barely conscious.

Worried about hurting Fred if the redhead were to attack in earnest again Draco made some quick bindings to restrain him and hold him in place so that he would not hurt himself or make Draco hurt him again in self defense. Then he went for what was supposed to be the strongest of the potions and fed it to Fred.

Draco proceeded to sit by Fred for over an hour casting every healing spell he knew until his head hurt from the concentration. He wasn't the best at healing spells. He had taken it upon himself to learn them though.

There were only so many bruises and cuts that he could hide, the rest he had been forced to use magic and glamor's to try and heal and vanish.

And now Hermione knew about that side of him.

He sat back in his chair and looked towards the roof of his little hut. 

She knew better than anyone in the entire world how damaged he was, and yet she still had said she wanted him in her life.

How was it possible?

On top of that she hadn't looked at him with pity over breakfast, which was something that Draco was extremely grateful for.

Once they had started eating she had tried to distract him with stories and it had worked. She got so animated describing things...her favorite stories, some of which he was familiar with and others-by muggle authors- he had never even heard of.

He had mentally taken note of the names in his head suddenly very motivated to read them and know intimately those books that had made her happy and made her smile, and laugh or cry. Books she cared about enough to want to talk about, and enough to light up while describing. 

Listening to her made him feel better. Just listening to the timber of her voice brought warmth into his lungs.

-

After the chimes went off for the second time Draco got up and exited the little hut.

He stood just behind the door of his wardrobe and looked out through the tiny peephole there.

Hermione was sitting at the table her nose buried in a book.

Draco cast a quick spell freezing her for a blink of time; She would only feel like she had zoned out for a moment, and he used that moment to sneak out of his wardrobe, past her and downstairs to his parents library.

He spent several hours searching for a tome that might have some history on making secret passageways. The closest thing he found was a book on cursing doors so that if someone opened one who wasn't supposed to they regretted it.

Trust his family to have an entire book about something like that.

When Draco's stomach was growling for lunch he went upstairs and nearly bumped into his mentor.

Snape looked down at him with a glower and brushed invisible lint off his outfit.

"What are you doing here?" Draco asked

"Delivering a package for the Dark Lord," answered Snape gesturing to a trunk.

"What's inside?"

"That," answered Snape. "Is none of your concern."

Draco rolled his eyes.

"Right."

"And how are things with you?" Snape asked. "And...the girl."

"Fine," answered Draco "She continues to entertain me," he said loud enough so that if anyone was eves dropping they would hear him clearly.

"No one else it at home at the moment," said Snape. "Your father and mother left just as I was coming in and the Dark Lord is...out and pre-occupied."

Draco felt the tension leave his shoulders.

Every second Voldemort was in their house was another second where Hermione was at greater risk.

"Did they say where they were going?" asked Draco surprised that his mother would leave without saying goodbye.

It shouldn't surprise you all that much, he thought to himself.  She had been avoiding him and he didn't blame her.

"To lunch I believe," answered Snape.

Draco nodded.

"If you don't mind I have a school to run," said Snape and he raised his wand to apperate.

"Wait!" said Draco.

"Yes?" said Snape turning his head.

Draco debated asking for help for a moment.

You can trust him, he told himself

You can't trust anyone, his mind answered back.

He's on your side.

No, he countered mentally. He's on the Dark Lord's side.

But he has vowed to protect and help you.

And how far exactly do you want to push that? He asked himself.

True Snape had made a promise to protect him...however that promise did not extend to Hermione...let alone Fred.

"What is it Mr. Malfoy," Drawled Snape impatiently.

"Goyle's family's house had these doors," said Draco. "That when you tapped on them with your wand would become passageways to somewhere else."

His friend's name almost stuck in his throat.

He felt so isolated here and reaching out was never something he had been overly good at.

"And?" said Snape.

"And I want to know how to make one."

"Why, might I ask, would you like to know that Mr. Malfoy?"

"Because I want to make one myself," Draco answered. "Times are getting more dangerous," he thought of the excuse on his feet. "And I want to be able to get away quickly if we come under attack again. You vowed to help and protect me, this falls under that umbrella."

"So it would seem," Snape inhaled deeply and straightened. "I am not personally familiar with the spells needed to create that type of passageway." he paused. "However, I do believe I there are volumes on the subject at Hogwarts. Since you seem to have developed an interest, and in the interest of preserving your life and health, I will do my utmost to bring them with me upon my return here."

"And when are you planning on coming back?" asked Draco.

"Soon," said Snape.

"Good," answered Draco feeling a little more calm. He would have a solution to at least one of his problems soon. Hopefully whatever magic was needed wasn't too far above his abilities. He felt his wand heat with his thoughts and reached down with his hand to touch the wand affectionately. Snape caught the movement and raised a brow but said nothing of it.

"If that is all..." Snape trailed off.

"Yes, thank you."

Snape gave a slow nod and then vanished in a whirl of black.

-

Little pieces all coming together...sorry this chapter doesn't have more action, but these scenes are important for what is to come. Things are about to start all clicking together very soon...Also Fred will be fine. He's just recovering. Keep in mind its been less than 48 hours since he was at deaths door.