Apparating

Draco ran towards her hand outstretched...reaching for her not with firing wand but open hand and pleading eyes.

She wanted so much to give in to those eyes.

She wanted to reach out and take his hand.

You can't trust him.

Hermione fought the moisture in her eyes.

She didn't have a choice.

She would run. She would hide. She would keep everyone else safe.

She would find a place where no one could reach her.

Draco's fingers stretched towards her and time seemed to slow.

Hermione looked into Draco's perfect pleading eyes.

and Apparated.

-

No...

Draco's fingers brushed air as he watched Hermione swirl and vanish before his eyes. He stumbled forward with the momentum of running to her and wrapped his arms around the thick portion of his bedpost instead of her body.

She's gone...

Draco felt the loss wrench through him.

Where will she go?

Will she be okay?

He squeezed his eyes tightly shut.

They'll make me find her.

Shock and fear at her loss gave way to anger and he straightened.

Hermione had gotten the wand to apparate from Crabbe. Crabbe who had gone into Draco's room without his permission after Draco had expressly told Crabbe that Granger was not to be shared or played with.

You bastard, Draco growled mentally. He whirled on the heavier boy and pulled out his wand pointing it at Vincent's throat.

"What the hell did you do?" Draco demanded.

"Please!" Crabbe cried.

Draco shoved him backwards and Crabbe cried out, his hand dropping briefly form his nose.

Draco saw the bloody evidence that Granger had broken it.

For a split second Draco felt a brief flicker of pride at Hermione sticking up for herself and then that feeling gave way to another emotion, one that was much darker and left him wondering what the hell Crabbe had done to warrant the broken nose from Hermione?

It could be that she just wanted to escape, The part of him that hoped she hadn't had to endure anything more tried to argue for an explanation that didn't make him want to kill his 'friend' even while the rational side of his mind knew why Crabbe had come up to his room.

You're the one who keeps pushing her away, another voice said.

To protect her, he argued back to himself.

She doesn't know that.

"Stop pointing that thing at me would you?" blubbered Crabbe pulling Draco away from the argument in his head.

"What the hell did you do Crabbe?" Draco Demanded, turning his focus to the boy in front of him.

What did you do to her?

Crabbe reached down for his leg and Draco saw the growing bloodstain there.

Hermione punching Crabbe in the nose to escape made sense, stabbing him meant that Crabbe had done something worse.