The Goodbye

"What?" Hermione turned back to him glancing down at Draco's hand on her arm.

He let go of her, worried about her current mood and expression and what she would think of his hands on her right now.

You should ask her what she remembers about last night.

No, you definitely should not, he countered, though that voice was just his selfish and scared side not wanting to risk the rejection that was very possible.

Draco knew he needed to ask her, needed to know what she remembered and where she was at so that he could tell her he cared about her as more than just a fellow witch or wizard. But...was now really the right time? Should he wait until they were both safely out?

What if something happened between then and now?

He had to ask her.

Draco's throat tightened as he tried to search for the words.

Are you being selfish by wanting to know and wanting to tell her now? He asked himself a split second before he opened his mouth. 

If he waited to tell her it would give her friends time to pull her back and keep you away from him.

Fred wouldn't do that, the thought popped up in defense of the redhead.

Draco turned the thought over in his head. It felt true. Draco had the distinct feeling that Fred would be on his side after all this...at least a little. At the same time there was a very real possibility that the others would not be so understanding. Draco doubted very much tat Ron Weasley would be particularly forgiving especially since Draco had every intention of winning Hermione's heart. Ron WOULD NOT approve.

"Draco?" Hermione's voice shattered through the war going on in Draco's head and he wondered just how long she had been standing there waiting for him to speak just because he had asked her to wait. 

"If you here an alarm go off it means someone other than me is trying to get in to my room," he blurted the first thing that came to mind. "Drop whatever you are doing and come back. We can't have them thinking...we can't have them know about the oasis."

"Right," said Hermione, her shoulders stiffening. "Of course."

Draco wanted to smack himself in the forehead for sounding so lame.

"Have fun," Draco tried to offer a smile.

"Thanks," said Hermione flatly seeming even more unimpressed with that second statement.

She disappeared into the wardrobe and Draco dragged a hand down over his face.

"You're a right bloody idiot," Draco told himself. "Have fun? Stupid. Its her last day with her friend and you're spouting out 'have fun' like she's on route to a bloody play date." 

Draco kicked his trash bin and the papers within went flying around the room.

Why the hell was this so hard?

Because you aren't used to risking rejection, women usually just make it obvious they want you.

Hermione wants you, memories of the kiss slammed into him and Draco closed his eyes and inhaled through his nose overwhelmed by the desire to follow her straight into the wardrobe sweep her up off her feel and kiss her again.

"I want her to want all of me," he said barely above a whisper.

No one would ever want all of you, the darkest voice sneered.

Maybe not, but she is the kind of woman who could love me anyways....

The thought warmed him even as it terrified him.