Desires and Demons

TRIGGER WARNING for this chapter folks. 

-

Hermione felt a warm hand nudge her awake from her sleeping place on the pallet. 

She opened her eyes to see Draco's face above her as he leaned over her from the side, his arms braced on either side of her head. The moonlight bleeding in through the window made the chiseled lines of his face even more beautiful. 

Why was he here? Had she called out in her sleep? She didn't remember having any nightmares.

She looked up at him, and her eyes went to his lips. She felt a pull.  She wished that he hadn't pulled away, earlier and yet she knew he had made the right choice. It was stupid of her to have kissed her, but she had wanted to so much in that moment. All the other horrors had melted away in that kiss.

She hadn't thought the kiss was one of pity.

It was partially that though, wasn't it? Her mind questioned.

Perhaps it had been a little. She had wanted to comfort him, yet that wasn't really why she had kissed him. She had kissed him for everything that he had done for her and for everything he had been through.

She had kissed him because for a moment she had gotten lost in those beautiful eyes which were now staring down at her intently.

And now those beautiful eyes were staring down at her intently once more.

"What is it?" she asked. 

It was the middle of the night after all and this was the first time that he had woken her, without her remembering having a nightmare. 

"I wanted to apologize," he said sitting back. 

She immediately missed his nearness and sat up so that she was facing him. 

He shifted giving his body angling towards her. 

Hermione's eyes went down at the movement and she realized he was shirtless. She resisted the urge to pull the covers up even though she was practically fully clothed. The moonlight played with shadows over his bare torso.

Gods he's beautiful, she thought.

Answer his question and stop staring at him,
she ordered herself.

"What for?" she asked. "You've already apologized enough Draco."

"It will never be enough," he answered and she reached out to him without thinking. Her hand touched the bare skin of his shoulder and she was surprised at how soft the skin was over top of the hard deltoid.

Like satin over steel, she thought remembering a line from an old romance novel she had read back in her tweens. She had thought the description strange at the time. Now it made perfect sense.

"I'm sorry for everything," Draco continued. "But..." he paused. "I am especially sorry for pulling away from that kiss."

"What?" Hermione felt the blood rush to her face and her heartrate jump to attention inside her chest.

"I wanted to kiss you," he reached out and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. "So much," his hand stroked down her neck and rested with his thumb brushing against her earlobe. Hermione's hand dropped from his shoulder and he caught it with his free hand lacing their fingers together.

"You..." she blinked. "So why?"

"I was afraid you would pull away...after everything."

"I kissed you," she pointed out.

"It was a mistake."

"I know..."she shook her head.

"No," he touched her chin with his free hand. "Not the kiss....my pulling away from it."

Hermione felt everything slow down and she became acutely aware that she was in Draco's room with him half naked on her bed, telling her he wanted to kiss her.