The Vow

She wanted a promise of honesty from him.

You can give her that much, he assured himself.

But could he?

What would being honest with her actually mean? Could he protect her if he was perfectly transparently honest with her?

The answer was simple:

No.

Yes you can, his mind argued back, Not TRANSPARENTLY HONEST but honest. 

All he had to do was omit some truths.

He couldn't promise transparency and keep her safe.

He could promise not to lie.

"Alright," Draco agreed before he could keep overthinking it and back out.

In all the time that she had been here Hermione had not asked him for much. In fact she had hardly asked him for anything. If this, honesty, was what she wanted-ill-advised as it was- he couldn't deny her.

"Really?" her eyebrows rose happily.

He could tell she was trying to hide just how pleased she was at him agreeing to her request. He was glad she at least was happy because he felt like he was about to puke from nerves.

 "Swear it," she said her face going serious. "Swear on your wand you will always be completely honest with me."

Honesty for him was going to be a stretch, but he would do it for her.

Complete honesty he was NOT ready for and was exactly what he had already worked out as too dangerous. Aside from the danger to her, Draco also had to admit that being completely honest with her would wreck him. He wouldn't last a week. She had seen more of him in her time at the manor than everyone else in his life had seen combined.

Out of self preservation he could not give her everything-he wouldn't survive it. 

Still, he was careful not to say anything that would make her question. 

Draco drew his wand and held it tight in his hand. 

He looked down at the simple, yet beautiful helper that had gotten him through the last few weeks.

You'll hold me to it won't you? He thought and felt a distinct warmth echo back in answer. The wand in his hand would hold him to his promise he was sure of it and so he picked his words very carefully.

"Hermione Granger, I swear on my wand that when we are alone I will not lie to you." Said Draco. "May my wand prevent a lie from passing my lips when it is just the two of us alone."

Draco's wand glowed brightly and he felt a tingling in his lips.

"Thank you," said Granger and her face softened and became sweet. "It means more to me than you can understand."

Draco nodded with a small tight smile that was half grimace.

It meant a lot to her. It also meant a lot to Draco, though in a less pleasant way. 

He didn't want to let anyone in, he had never wanted to let anyone in, and here she was making him feel like she was already half inside his soul.

"I need...sleep," said Draco, his shoulders falling.

"Okay," said Hermione with a nod.

Draco made his way over to the far side of his massive bed and Hermione made her way over to the side with her pallet.

"Draco?" her voice was hesitant.

"Yes?" he answered and she paused for half a heartbeat before asking:

"Are you okay?"

That was her first question to him after asking for the truth?

The words 'I'm fine' would not exit his mouth as much as he willed them to.

He felt a tingle at his lips.

Fuck me.

She was going to be the death of him.

That's what you get for promising no lies and swearing it on your wand, the voice in his head mocked him.

"I am as good as can be expected given the circumstances," he answered.