Chapter 8

A/N - Hey guys! I feel like this is a bit short but I basically just wanted to get some Ron/Draco time in there, cos they are SO fun to write a scene about. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it! :-)
-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

I paced the cave, chewing my lip. Harry had been gone for ages, and I was starting to wonder if something had happened. Where was he? Where was Ginny? And more worryingly, where was the Basilisk?

"I could do with some help over here, Malfoy." I spun around and rolled my eyes at Weasley, who was trying to lift a huge boulder.
"Ask Twinkle Toes," I suggested distractedly.
"I knocked him out with a pebble," he sighed.
"So you have got some sense!"
"Shut up, Malfoy," Weasley growled. "Come and help me." I sighed, and went over to grab the other side of the rock. Together, we heaved it down.

"Watch your fingers," I warned as we lowered it to the floor. "Watch your-"
"Dammit my fingers!" Weasley yelped, clutching his hand.
I snorted. "Honestly, Weasley. I swear your rat has more brains than you."
"If you're so clever, why can't you think of a SPELL that would help us with this?"
I shrugged. "Flitwick bores me so I don't listen to him."
"What about Wingardium Leviosa?"
"What about it?"
He rolled his eyes. "For Merlin's sake, Malfoy. Use it on the rocks."
"And do all of the work for you? I think not."
"You don't need to do anything except wave your wand, you lazy ass! I would help if my wand wasn't useless."
"I doubt you'd be much help even if it wasn't."

He glared at me. "Remind me why Harry is suddenly all pally with you?"
"Because I'm faaaaabulous!" I replied sarcastically, and he rolled his eyes. "We're not friends, Weasley. We're..." I paused. Were we friends? "I just don't have to energy to be duelling him every five minutes. First years are much easier targets."
"Right..." Weasley didn't look convinced, but he let it go. "Let's just do this," he sighed, turning back to the huge pile of rocks.

I paused for a second, watching him lift some of the smaller ones with his hands. "What if we lift as many of the smaller ones with our hands as we can and, when there's some more space, I'll use the charm for the bigger ones?"

Weasley looked surprised, but then nodded, and we got to work.

After what felt like ages, I wiped my forehead and looked at my watch. We had been lifting boulders for over half an hour. The thick wall of stone was gradually becoming less dense, and we could see shafts of light shining through gaps in the wall. I sat down on a rock and cleared my throat, desperate for a drink of water.

"Malfoy!" Weasley snapped. "We need to move these!"
"Alright, alright!" I held my arms up in defeat. "Don't get your knickers in a knot..."

"Why did you even come here?" He snapped, and I stared at him. "You don't give a shit about my sister - in fact, as far as I know you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. So why the bloody hell did you follow us into a damn sewer?"

He glared at me, his fists clenched and his ears bright red, and it would have been funny in any other situation.

"I- your sister is the only person who has ever been nice to me. Like properly, genuinely nice, without any hidden agenda. I didn't respond well at the time..." I thought back to the Valentine prank, "but I really appreciated it. And as much as I hate you," he let out a short laugh and I couldn't help but smile, "I wouldn't wish the pain of losing someone you love on anyone."

Weasley sat heavily on a rock and put his head in his hands. "I'm so worried about her."
I nodded. "I understand."
"She's my little sister and I should've been taking better care of her... She was my responsibility... I don't know what I'd do without her... If she dies it'll be all my f-fault..." he trailed off, his shoulders shaking with sobs.

I stood in silence for a moment, trying to work out what to do next. I had never been in a situation like this before; where I had to actually offer someone sympathy... I knelt down beside him and awkwardly placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Look," I hesitated, "Ron..." He looked up at his name. "I know it must be horrible, not being able to do anything right now, but Harry's on it. And you know what he's like! He survived meeting Voldemort when he was one! And twice last year too. He'll find her. And he'll probably kill the Basilisk while he's at it..." I added thoughtfully, "he's too damn stubborn to give up on anything. If anyone can save Ginny, he can." Weasley looked straight at me, his eyes glistening with tears, and nodded.

"You're right," he agreed, wiping his eyes again. "Harry will find her." I grinned at him, and he offered me a watery smile.

"Let's clear this tunnel." We got back to work, but I could feel Ron's eyes on me as I moved rocks. Eventually, I turned and looked at him.

"What are you looking at?"
He shrugged. "Nothing. It's just... you're not as much of an asshole as you pretend to be."
"You take that back, Weasley, or I'll curse you so hard you'll wish you were only vomiting slugs."
"And... he's back."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

RON POV

I twirled my broken wand around my fingers, fidgeting nervously. I really wanted to go and find Ginny and Harry, but common sense told me not to. That and Malfoy's giant mouth.

"Harry will find her," he kept saying, pointing his wand at my nose so that my eyes crossed trying to keep it in sight. "You move anywhere and I'll curse you quicker than you can scream. You'll only make it worse."

I had glared at him angrily, but deep down I knew that he was right. I had glanced at my useless wand. What would I be able to do anyway? How on earth could I take on the basilisk without magic?

While I waited anxiously, I thought about Harry and Malfoy's friendship, or whatever it was. It was a bizarre turn of events. One minute they're yelling insults across the Hall to each other; the next, they're best mates and calling each other "Harry" and "Draco".

I whipped my head around when I heard a soft slither echo through the tunnel, and saw Malfoy do the same. I squinted in the dim light, ready to close my eyes at the sign of any movement.

I gasped when a silhouette appeared at the end of the tunnel, gently pulling a smaller silhouette by the hand.

"Ginny," I breathed, rushing over to the pair. She spotted me and let go of Harry's hand, and I wrapped my arms around her in a fierce hug.

"Ron..." She burst into tears, and I gently stroked her hair.
"You're safe," I whispered, kissing the top of her head. "I promise. And Ginny?" She looked up, her eyes filled with tears, and I smiled gently.

"Never do that again."