Chapter 58

HARRY POV

I suddenly found myself back on the forest floor. The nothingness of King's Cross had vanished, and in its place was the cold, crunchy floor of the Forbidden Forest. Every part of me was aching, but I didn't dare move from my position.

I could hear whispering and hurried footsteps, which surprised me. I had expected to hear cheers and laughter.

"My Lord..." Bellatrix sounded stunned.

"That will do," he responded coldly. I dared to open my eyes a tiny amount, and saw that Voldemort was getting to his feet - the force of the spell must have knocked him backwards as well. "The boy... is he dead? You. Examine him."

There was a bang and a shriek, and then I heard footsteps getting closer to me. This was it - once he realised I wasn't dead...

I could hear the woman's shallow breaths as she placed a hand on my chest, no doubt feeling the fast beating of my heart.

"Is Draco alive? Is he in the castle?"

My heart leapt at the familiar voice. I could barely hear the whisper, but it was clear enough to know that I was safe.

"Yes," I breathed back, my heart still beating madly. She took a deep breath and stood up.

"Dead."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!"

The cry rang out through the silence in the Great Hall, and I grabbed the wall behind me to steady myself. My knees shook and I gasped for breath as the words registered in my brain.

He was wrong - he had to be... Harry couldn't be dead...

The Dark Lord entered the Hall, followed by Nagini, a huge crowd of Death Eaters and Hagrid. And in Hagrid's arms... the last of the strength in my legs vanished and I fell to the floor, shaking uncontrollably. Hermione knelt beside me and took my hand, but the image was already burnt into my mind.

Harry was lying in the arms of the Gamekeeper, his arm hanging below him and his jaw slack. Tears ran down Hagrid's cheeks as he mourned for the boy he had cared for right from when he was a baby. He laid Harry as commanded on the floor of the Hall, where everyone could see him.

"THAT'S MY GODSON!" Sirius roared, launching himself past us towards Voldemort, his eyes wild. Remus grabbed his arms and pulled him back, both of them falling to the ground while Sirius sobbed, "not Harry too..."

Hermione's own cheeks were lined with tears as she pulled me back to my feet. "Draco, I'm so sorry... But you have to stand up," she whispered, quickly pulling me up on shaky legs as a chorus of laughs echoed from the Death Eaters.

"Harry Potter is dead," the Dark Lord repeated. "From this day forward, you put your faith in me."

"NEVER!" Someone yelled, but the Dark Lord simply smiled maliciously.

"Come forward and declare yourself... Or die."

No one moved. There was deathly silence in the Hall as everyone waited for someone else to do something.

And then there was a scuffle from the crowd, a shout, and then a bang. Someone had broken away from the crowd and charged at the Dark Lord. The figure fell to the ground, and the Dark Lord chuckled.

"Well who is this?"

Belllatrix laughed loudly. "That is Neville Longbottom, the Aurors' boy!"
"Ahh, I remember," the Dark Lord smirked. "But you are pure-blood, are you not?"
"So what if I am?" Neville snapped.
"You show spirit and bravery, and come of noble stock. We need your kind."