Chapter 27

DRACO POV

Talk of the Yule Ball continued for weeks and weeks after Christmas. You could hardly walk anywhere without someone gossiping about so-and-so getting together with whats-his-name, or how someone managed to smuggle Firewhiskey into the Great Hall after most of the teachers had gone to bed.

Luckily, by the time February rolled around, they had found a new topic to talk about: the Second Task. Although the gossip became even more bizarre with the change of subject. I heard Lavender Brown say that the Champions were going to be dumped in the Forbidden Forest to fight the centaurs, while Ernie Macmillan was certain that they would have to try and wrestle a bunch of Nifflers for gold.

I was desperate to find out what it was actually about, but I hadn't managed to spend much time with Harry since he figured out the clue in the egg. He was so busy preparing for the task AND trying to fit in his homework, although he had briefly mentioned something about the Black Lake. I figured they might have to swim across and back or something. Maybe sail a boat out to try and find some treasure in the middle.

But it was worse. Much worse. As we all headed down towards the Lake on the twenty fourth of February, we could see tall stands rising out of the dark water, already full of students and teachers. My heart was pounding as Dumbledore explained the task; they had to swim UNDER the water to try and find something that had been "taken" from them. We wouldn't even be able to see them! And how were they supposed to breathe underwater for an HOUR?

I kept glancing around for Harry, but he was nowhere to be seen. Had he panicked and decided not to come? I half hoped he had, because the task looked so dangerous. With about three minutes to spare, he finally came sprinting down from the castle, clutching a handful of something that looked like seaweed.

And then he was gone. He disappeared into the depths of the Lake, and I clutched the edge of my seat as I tried to make out something - anything - below the surface.

Time passed agonisingly slowly. Bagman tried to keep up a cheerful commentary the whole way through, but eventually even he ran out of things to say. Poor Fleur had be rescued from the lake after being attacked by Grindylows. It made my stomach churn to think how many things lived down there.

Just as the hour ended, the whole school suddenly cheered as Diggory and Cho Chang resurfaced, coughing and spluttering. As Dumbledore went over to congratulate them, I heard Diggory say something about Harry, but they were too far away for me to hear anything else.

I groaned when Krum appeared a few minutes later, shaking his head as it changed back to normal. Where was Harry? The hour was up, so did that mean he was disqualified?

I sank gratefully onto the floor as two figures appeared in the water, but I sat back up in horror when I saw that neither was Harry. One was Ron, and the other was a blonde girl who could only be Fleur's sister.

I clutched the rail as I watched them swim closer. Harry had got to them, and brought them back. He'd come up any second. He had to.

Everyone in the stands cheered as an explosion seemed to take place under the water. It was followed by a loud THUD, and I almost cried with joy when Dumbledore, Ron and Hermiome crowded around my sodden boyfriend.

I knew I couldn't go to him then, not with the whole school watching. But as we walked back up to the castle, I couldn't wipe the proud grin off of my face.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

RON POV

"Proud of you, mate," I clapped Harry on the back as we walked back up towards the common room.
"Cheers, Ron." He looked exhausted and he kept shivering. I was pretty much dry so I wrapped my towel around his shoulders. He smiled gratefully.

"Good job, Potter!" I groaned as George appeared and ruffled his hair, before looking at his hand in disgust. "Ewww... Squid pee..."

I glared at Fred as he came and gently slid an arm around Hermione's shoulders. She grinned shyly at him and he leant down and gave her a quick peck on the lips.

"Dude, that's disgusting." I actually felt a little bit sick. Fred just smirked.
"Is ickle Ronnikins jealous?" George laughed. "Does baby bro want a girlfriend?"
I glared at him. "No. I just don't want to be third wheel with Fred and HIS girlfriend!"
"Ron, I'm right here!" Hermione snapped.

"What about you, Harry? You getting anywhere with Cho?" Fred asked, and I turned to look at my best friend. He looked like he was searching for someone. He jumped when he realised we were all waiting for him to reply.
"Yeah... What?" He looked distracted.

Fred asked him again, and he shrugged, still looking at the door. Then his expression changed and I turned to look too. Malfoy was just walking through the door, followed by Ginny and Luna Lovegood.

I looked between them and Harry, and then I gasped. "You fancy my sister!"
Harry looked horrified. "I what?"
"I saw how you just looked at her! Mate, no offence, but she's my sister."

Harry held his hands up in denial, and I glared suspiciously at him for a second. "Fine... But if I catch you two making out or god knows what, I'll break your legs."

Fred and George cracked up laughing.
"What?" I frowned.
"You couldn't break a stick, let alone his legs," Fred snorted.
"Ginny would be more likely to break YOUR legs if you saw them," George added.

"Anyway!" I decided to change the subject. "Shall we celebrate tonight? Go and grab some Butterbeer and stuff from the kitchens?"
The twins and Hermione nodded, but Harry hesitated. "I've kind of... Got plans tonight. Nothing to do with Ginny!" He added quickly. "I swear."
I didn't believe him, but then Hermione stepped in. "He's not going to be with Ginny. I'm helping her and Luna with Potions tonight."

I looked between them. Harry looked insanely sheepish, but Hermione was looking straight into my eyes.

"Whatever... I thought we were your best friends, but if you have a better offer..." I walked away quickly, determined not to cry in front of my older brothers.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

It was pitch black outside as I crept silently up the stairs to the Astronomy tower. I could see a faint glow from the fire at the top, and the soft footsteps on the carpet. Draco was already there.

I snuck up behind him as he stood by the window, staring at the lake. His eyes looked glassy, and there was a sadness in them that made my heart break. Maybe I could cheer him up.

"Boo!" I flung the Invisibility cloak off and engulfed him in a hug. He jumped about a foot off of the ground, but then laughed quietly and wrapped his arms around me.

After a couple of seconds, I tried to pull away, but Draco held me tighter. I went along with it, not fussed by the contact, but then I heard a quiet sob.

"Draco?" I unhooked his arms and pulled back to look at him. He immediately stared at the ground, avoiding my eyes. "What's up?"
"You! Harry freaking Potter!" He finally looked up at me with tear-filled eyes, gently placing a hand on my cheek. "You're just so... Amazing."
"Umm... Thanks?"
"You don't get it..." Draco sighed. "All these things that happen to you... You just deal with them. You fight all the time and even when you could die, you still try and do what people expect you to do. Like you have a duty to them."
"What else am I supposed to do?" I laughed lightly, which made him smile. He was still gazing at me intensely, and I was beginning to feel uncomfortable.
"You're wonderful, Harry Potter."

He brought the other hand to my face and cupped my chin, placing his mouth over mine. I rested my hands on his waist, pulling him closer, but suddenly he pulled away and flopped onto the sofa.

"But you sure piss me off sometimes."