Chapter 40

HERMIONE POV

"Harry, I'm serious!" I said exasperately. "You NEED to give that book back to Slughorn, before someone gets hurt!"
Harry shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets. "It's the only reason I'm not failing Potions, Hermione. And no one is going to get hurt."
"Oh really?" I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms. "Have you forgotten that you LEVITATED Ron this morning?"
Ron snorted. "I'm still alive, aren't I?"
"That's not the point, Ronald! We don't know this Prince bloke, he could be dangerous. I mean, how many people do you know who have made up their own spells, changed the instructions on potions in a SCHOOL textbook-"
"That's the real reason you want him to get rid of it, isn't it?" Ron interrupted. "You're just annoyed that he's better than you at Potions!"
"No, of course not..." I huffed. "Shall we go to Honeydukes to warm up?"
"And buy sweets, obviously," Ron said.
Harry nodded, probably glad for the change of subject. "Good idea."

As we walked along the street, we saw that Zonko's Jokeshop was boarded up.

"Great..." Ron said miserably. "This is gonna be a good trip..."
"Honeydukes is still open though!" I tried to sound lighthearted.

But when we went inside and saw how packed it was, I couldn't help but agree with Ron. We decided against buying anything, as the line was practically out of the door, and went over to the Three Broomsticks for a Butterbeer instead. We found a table as far away from the door as possible and, to Ron's horror, near to where Ginny and Dean were sitting, holding hands.

"Oh, bloody hell..." He shifted uncomfortably in his seat when he spotted them. "Slick git..."
I rolled my eyes. "Honestly Ron, they're only holding hands... And snogging," I added, turning away quickly.
"I'd like to leave," Ron said quickly.
"Grow up, Ronald," I snapped. "She's almost sixteen years old. She's not gonna wait for Harry forever."
Harry spluttered on his Butterbeer. "What?"
"Don't start that again..." Ron groaned. "My best friend and my sister?! That's just gross."

I just shrugged. "You're ok with Fred and I being together."
"That's different," Ron shook his head, glaring at Dean. "Fred would throw me in the Black Lake if I tried to tell him what to do."
"And he thinks Ginny wouldn't?" Harry muttered so that only I could hear. I grinned.

"Besides," Ron continued, looking back at us, "Ginny's not really your type, is she, mate?"
Harry raised an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"
"Well she isn't blonde... Or male." He snorted, tipping his head towards the door.

Harry snapped his head to the door. Draco had just walked into the pub, his cheeks pink from the cold. Blaise and Pansy followed him, and he muttered something to them before walking straight to the back of the pub.

"He said he had extra Potions..." Harry muttered, trying to see where he had gone through the groups of students. "Why would he lie?"
I looked at him carefully. "Maybe it got cancelled?" I suggested. "Slughorn's over there."
Harry nodded. "That makes sense."

About a minute later, Draco appeared beside Blaise and Pansy again, and they stood up to leave, draining the last of their Butterbeers. As they walked towards the door, Draco met Harry's gaze, and I saw the panic and fear in his eyes, before he quickly smiled and left.

"That was odd..." Harry said again, but Ron chose that moment to resume his grumblings about Ginny, so we decided to talk later.

Once we had finished our drinks, we decided to go back up to the castle. We followed Katie Bell and her friend out of the pub. It was a while before we realised that they were arguing, until their voices became too loud to ignore.

"It's nothing to do with you, Leanne!" I heard Katie say. Leanne made to grab the package that Katie was holding - Katie tugged it back and it fell to the ground, revealing a black necklace.