Chapter 12

DRACO POV

"Draco, please eat something..." Blaise sighed. I ignored him, staring at the back of Harry's head.

He hadn't spoken to me since the first night back. When he came into breakfast this morning, he blatantly sat with his back facing the Slytherin table, and Weasley glared at me even more venomously than usual.

I hated to admit it, but I missed him. I had grown so used to spending every evening in his company, sharing secret smiles in the corridor, and bombarding him with paper aeroplanes. Not any more. If anything, he seemed to hate me more than before we became friends. He never made eye contact during lessons, he changed direction if he saw me in the corridor, and the only indication I had that he received my paper aeroplanes were the sizzled remains that returned to me.

It hurt more than I ever expected, but I knew I deserved it. I HAD pulled those pranks on him last year, and found great amusement in doing so. However, I knew I had changed since then, judging by the huge guilty weight that had become a permanent addition to my stomach.

"Draco! Merlin's beard, pull yourself together!" Blaise groaned, and I jumped. "I was talking to you!"
"Sorry..." I muttered, dropping my eyes to my plate of scrambled eggs. The sight made me feel sick. Ignoring Blaise's protests, I left them on the table and headed out of the Hall, running a hand through my hair and determinedly staring straight ahead.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

"He's staring at you again," Ron growled, but I continued to stab my toast with a fork.
"I don't care."
"Harry..." Hermione sighed. "You need to talk to him. Listen to his side of the story."
"Why should I?" I snapped. "He completely humiliated me!"
"Harry's right," Ron butt in. "He doesn't deserve it."
"I'm sure he'll apologise and explain himself," Hermione persisted, her eyes drifting over to the Slytherin table. She sighed. "He looks ill, Harry. It's obviously upsetting him that you've fallen out. Isn't that enough to tell you he's changed?"
I just ignored her, grabbing a Daily Prophet off of the table and burying my nose in it. Hermione wisely chose to drop the subject, and soon after that she stood up and exited the Hall.

"Come on, mate," Ron said sympathetically. "We've got Defence Against The Dark Arts."

As we left to grab our bags from the dormitory, I glanced briefly at the Slytherin table, but Draco was gone.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

I rushed up the marble staircase after the blonde, and caught up to him on the second floor. He looked surprised to see me, but also slightly hopeful.

"Hermione?" He walked over to me cautiously, as if he was expecting me to punch him in the face.
"Draco..." I sighed, looking at the bags under his eyes.
"Has Harry said something about me?"
I hesitated. "In... Passing," I settled with, earning me a puzzled look. "Look, Draco... He's not happy. You really hurt him."
"I know..." He looked distraught, to say the least. "I'm not proud of what I did. But I've changed, Hermione. Really, I have. And after the way I've treated you for the last two years, I suppose I don't have any right to ask you for a favour-"
"Don't worry about that," I said quickly. I believed that he had changed, even if Harry didn't, and was willing to give him a second chance.
He looked relieved. "Could you please... Try and make him talk to me? Just so I can explain myself! And then if he doesn't want to, he never has to talk to me again. Please, Hermione."

I was stunned. This was an entirely new side to Draco; one that I believed he wouldn't show to many people. He was BEGGING.

I nodded. "I'll do my best," I promised. "But you have to show Harry the truth. Show him that you've changed. And show him how much you care."

Immediately, Draco's face lit up and he smiled widely at me before running off down the hall.

"Thank you!" He called behind him, and I waved, before turning around and heading back the way I came.

I jumped when I came face to face with Fred Weasley. I automatically glanced behind him, but his other half was nowhere in sight.

"Alright, Hermione?" He grinned.
"You scared me!" I laughed, and he scratched the back of his head.
"Sorry... I just didn't want to interrupt you and Malfoy." He looked curious, but didn't say anything else.

We were silent for a second, before I glanced at my watch. "We've got to get to lessons..." I said, beginning to walk past him. He held out an arm to stop me and I raised an eyebrow at him.
"I'll walk with you," he offered, and I smiled. "May I take your bag, m'lady?"