Chapter 54

DRACO POV

I swallowed thickly as we followed Neville through the passage. It had finally sunk in that we were about to go back into Hogwarts, and the thought made me want to turn around and run back to Aberforth.

He had been very suspicious of me, which wasn't surprising, but still made my heart sink as Harry had to, once again, reassure someone that I was on their side. Aberforth accepted it reluctantly, but his eyes kept flicking back to me as we talked.

I couldn't believe he was related to Dumbledore - I didn't even know he had a brother. His personality and demeanour was so different to his brother's, and he almost seemed to resent him. He told us what happened to their sister Ariana and about Dumbledore's friend Grindelwald, and I watched as Harry's determined expression faltered and his eyes dropped to the floor.

He had been trying so hard to stay strong and finish his mission, but I could see that he was struggling to keep it together. He said nothing when Aberforth suggested that Harry was running a fool's errand and that he was disposable.

When he finally spoke, his voice was calm. "I'm not interested in what happened between you and your brother. I don't care that you've given up. I trusted the man I knew. We need to get into the castle tonight."

Aberforth had looked at him for a moment, as though deciding whether he was worth the trouble, before turning to the painting of Ariana above the fire and saying, "you know what to do."

Now we followed Neville through the tunnel behind the painting, when suddenly Harry stopped walking as we neared the end.

"How many people are going to be there, Neville?" He asked.
Neville shrugged. "About forty."
Harry turned to me. "You should use the Invisibility cloak."

I blinked in confusion, before remembering that everyone thought I was a psychotic Death Eater and nodding. Harry threw the cloak over me, and then motioned to Neville that it was fine to open the door.

It was madness. As soon as they saw Harry, everyone in the room cheered. They patted him on the back as he climbed down from the door, and Ron and Hermione both received the same amount of attention. Neville, who seemed to have completely overlooked my cruel treatment of him when we were younger, stayed further back with me.

"He's our hero," he muttered to me as we watched everyone swarm around the others. "They all are. We've been keeping Dumbledore's Army alive for when they came back to fight."
"To... fight?"
"Well, yeah. That's why you've come, right? To overthrow the Carrows and fight You-Know-Who and defend the Wizarding World."
I was glad he couldn't see my face. "Right."

Perhaps this was Harry's mission. I had figured it was something to do with overthrowing You-Know-Who, but I didn't ask too many questions because I didn't want them to think I was a spy or something.

But was he actually planning to fight? I thought he had been hiding for months to come up with a plan that DIDN'T involve facing his enemy head on. But then I knew nothing.

The thought of facing the Death Eaters made me feel sick. My mother and father would be there. And my aunt and uncle and all of the people who I was supposed to look up to. If they thought Harry had kidnapped me, what would they say when they found out I was in fact fighting against them?

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

We waited in sheer terror outside of the Great Hall as Harry revealed himself to Snape.

"...if anyone here has any knowledge of Mr Potter's movements this evening, I invite them to step forward... now."

There was a pause from inside, and then a loud gasp echoed - Harry must have appeared.