Chapter 41

A/N- (sorry)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

"Voldemort has chosen Draco Malfoy  for a mission?" Remus raised his eyebrow at me. "And you think he wants him to kill someone?"
"I know it sounds mad-"
"Slimy bastard..." Sirius snapped. "Getting a little boy to do something like that..."

I smiled sadly at Sirius, who placed an arm around my shoulders as Remus continued.

"Has it occurred to you, Harry..." Lupin paused as though gathering his thoughts, "that Snape was simply pretending to offer Draco help so that he could find out what he was up to?"
"That's not what it sounded like..."

I was exasperated; regardless of whether Snape was trying to help him or not, Draco was up to something. And that something was work for Voldemort. I was certain of it.

"Maybe Harry is right, Remus," Sirius suggested quickly. "I mean, to make an Unbreakable Vow-"
Remus shook his head. "It all comes down to whether you trust Dumbledore's judgement. Dumbledore trusts Snape, therefore I do."
"Dumbledore can make mistakes, he said so himself," I countered, and Sirius nodded.
"You're blinded by hatred-"
"I'm not!"
"Yes you are! Both of you." Remus sighed, looking between Sirius and I. "People are disappearing daily, and we can only place our trust in a handful of people. If we start fighting amongst ourselves we're doomed."

"But Draco IS up to something," I persisted, and Remus sighed again.
"True, there is no doubt about that..." He nodded sympathetically, watching me. "But you don't have any proof that he's trying to kill someone. The necklace is suspicious, I know," he added, when I opened my mouth to argue, "but you don't know for certain. Try to see this from Draco's point of view, Harry. His family's past was bound to catch up with them once Voldemort returned. Had he had a choice, I'm certain he would not have agreed to this mission."
"How do you know?" I asked, a lump forming in my throat.
"He cares about you so much, Harry. He said himself that the reason you can't be together is because you and your friends would be in danger," Sirius reassured me, tightening his grip of my shoulders.
"Whatever this mission is..." Remus continued, "he's only going through with it to avoid getting anyone he loves killed. Trust me. And trust him."

I nodded, unable to speak for fear of crying, as Mrs Weasley called from the kitchen that supper was ready. Remus placed a hand on my shoulder as he walked past, and Sirius stood up to follow him.

How could I trust Draco if he was, as I thought, out to kill someone? What if that someone was me? Or Slughorn? Or Dumbledore?

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

It wa great to see my parents over Christmas. It did mean that I couldn't spend it with Harry and the Weasleys, but Ron had been acting so unbearably for the last few months that perhaps it was a blessing.

Harry filled me in on everything that happened, including Scrimgeour's visit and his conversation with Sirius and Lupin about Draco. We were both certain that he was up to something, so Harry reluctantly agreed to share his concerns about Snape's involvement with Dumbledore, to no avail.

"Maybe he really DID ask Snape to spy on Draco?" I suggested afterwards.
Harry shrugged. "Or maybe he was worried, but didn't want to show it."

I kept my mouth shut at that, not entirely convinced by Harry's argument. I actually agreed with Lupin; Dumbledore was the most trustworthy person in the world, and we couldn't afford to doubt him.

He gave Harry a task after their last lesson: to retrieve a memory from Slughorn. Easier said than done, apparently - since he had figured out what Harry was trying to do, Slughorn refused to remain alone in a room with Harry for more than three seconds.