Chapter 19

HERMIONE POV

Harry won't talk to me. He knows that I had good reason to express my concerns to McGonagall, but he was furious that she took his broom.

It's just a broom! I don't see why any old one won't do. The outcome of the match is determined by the quality of the player, not the broom. That's what Oliver Wood always says, and Harry knows that.

Oh Hermione, Ron would say, you really haven't got a clue...

He's not talking to me either. To be honest, I think it's got less to do with the Firebolt and more to do with Crookshanks. The broom just gave him an opportunity to ignore me.

So I've been spending a lot of time with Ginny recently. She agrees that the boys are overreacting, but, as a huge fan of Quidditch, she also scolded me for taking the Firebolt to McGonagall, who was sure to confiscate it, instead of Dumbledore, who would've handled the matter more delicately. She was right, I knew she was, but I was never going to admit it to Harry and Ron.

I overheard them talking about Harry's Anti-Dementor lessons at the start of the New Year, so I assume he's spoken to Lupin and maybe made a start. I know Harry is a great wizard, but the Patronus charm is a whole new level of magic that we won't even BEGIN to learn until after our OWLs. I hope he knows what he's doing.

I don't think he knows what he's doing with regards Draco. Of course I'm glad that they're no longer throwing hexes at each other across the corridor, sabotaging potions and whatnot, but I worry sometimes that Harry has forgotten who Draco is. No matter how friendly HE is, his father is Lucius Malfoy. Previously of Voldemort's most trusted Death Eaters, but currently a very respected employee of the Ministry of Magic. And I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. If he got word that Voldemort has returned, I reckon he'd run back to him faster than if he was being chased by a Blast-Ended Skrewt.

Harry has put a great deal of trust into Draco, and I suppose, in a way, I have too. I persuaded him to fight for Harry as a friend, because I saw how much he cared about him. He chooses to be friends with Harry despite his father's obvious hatred of him, so there's a lot that can be said about that.

But if Dumbledore is right in saying that Voldemort with return someday, there's every chance that Draco will have to choose between Harry... And his life.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

"I can't feel my toes!" Harry groaned, pulling his shoes on in the changing rooms.

I snorted with laughter. The weather had gotten WORSE after Christmas, and well into February it wasn't getting any better. Woody was forcing their Quidditch team to do almost daily practices to prepare for the Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw match on Saturday, so I had hardly seen Harry all week.

"The fires are on in the Astronomy tower," I reassured him, and he stopped in his tracks.
"Oh, Draco..." He looked up to meet my gaze, and my heart sank at the guilt in his eyes. "I've got so much homework to do because of Quidditch... If I don't do Snape's essay tonight he'll skin me tomorrow."

I sighed and forced my face into a smirk. "No that's ok. I always knew you were a goody two shoes. Can't afford to ruin your golden boy reputation with any detentions."
He rolled his eyes. "Actually, I can't afford to get even more behind on homework with any MORE detentions. I don't have enough time as it is."
"I noticed..." I muttered to myself as I turned to leave the tent, but Harry grabbed my arm.