Chapter 43

HARRY POV

The next few weeks passed painfully slowly. I knew that Dumbledore was using the information from Slughorn's real memory to continue his search for what we now knew to be Horcruxes, and I hadn't forgotten his promise to let me go with him.

During this time, Draco was up and about again, but I could barely face him after what I had done. He felt the same, apparently - on the off chance we passed in the corridor, he would barely even acknowledge that I was there. I didn't blame him.

I had been trying so hard to stick to my promise to stop trying to interfere, and as exams came and went, and the end of the year grew closer, I was doing well.

At least until I got the message from Dumbledore.

"What does it say?" Hermione asked excitedly as the small first year who handed the parchment to me scurried away.
"He wants me to come to his office immediately..." My stomach flipped excitedly.
"Blimey..." Ron looked at it nervously. "Do you think he's found-?"
"One way to find out! See you later!"

I practically ran along the deserted corridor towards Dumbledore's office. Suddenly a scream and a loud crash sounded from around the corner.

"How - dare - you - argh!"

I sprinted around the corner to find Professor Trelawney sprawled on the floor, surrounded by several sherry bottles.

"Professor Trelawney?" I asked uncertainly, and she quickly jumped to her feet at my voice. "What happened?"
"You may well ask!" She practically shrieked. "I was strolling along, brooding up some certain Dark potents I happen to have-"

I stopped listening, realising where we were as I looked at the wall opposite.

"Were you trying to get into the Room of Requirement?"
"... omens I have been vouchsafed - what?" She suddenly looked shifty.
"Were you?"
"I- well, I didn't know students knew about-"
"Not all of them do. But what happened? I heard you scream..."
"I was attempting to deposit certain... Personal items-" she cleared her throat- in there."
"But you couldn't get in?"
"Oh I got in. But someone was already in there."
"Someone? Who?"

She looked taken aback by the urgency in my voice. "I don't know. It was a voice - whooping. Gleefully," she added as an afterthought.
"Male or female?"
"I would hazard a guess at male."
"And sounded happy? As though it was celebrating?"
"Most definitely. I called out, 'who's there?' and the whooping stopped. Then everything went pitch black and the next thing I knew, I was being hurled headfirst out of the Room!"

"I think you'd better tell Professor Dumbledore," I said quickly, my heart pounding and a nervous knot forming in my stomach.
"The Headmaster has intimated that he would prefer fewer visits from me," Trelawney said coldly. "He refyses to accept the darkness that is coming... The lightning-struck tower... Calamity drawing ever closer..." she began muttering to herself about disaster and chaos.

I couldn't help but understand why Dumbledore had suggested she visit him less often.

"I still think you should tell him," I said thickly, thinking it over in my head. If Trelawney also suggested that Draco was up to something, Dumbledore may consider looking into it. But did I want that? What if Draco really WAS working for Voldemort, and he got arrested? Because of me?

"Do you think so?" Trelawney said thoughtfully, before nodding and starting to walk with me. "I believed that Dumbledore thought more of me," she sighed, and I tuned her out as we walked. "I well remember my first interview with him. He was deeply impressed, of course. I was staying at the Hog's Head at the time, which I do not advise, incidentally - bed bugs, dear boy - but funds were low. I must confess that, at first, I thought he seemed ill-disposed towards Divination... and I remember I started to feel a little odd, I had not eaten that much that day... but then..."

And suddenly I was paying attention properly, because I had just realised that I knew what happened next - Trelawney had made the prophecy that had changed the course of my entire life.

"...but then we were rudely interrupted by Professor Snape!"

My throat grew dry. "What?"
"Yes, there was a commotion outside the door and it flew open, and there was a rather uncouth barman standing with Snape, who was waffling about coming the wrong way up the stairs. Though I rather felt that he had been eavesdropping on my interview with Dumbledore - I hear he was looking for a job, himself, at the time- Harry, dear?"

She turned as she realised I had stopped walking. There was a concerned expression on her face, so perhaps the sick feeling in my stomach was reflected in my own expression.

It was Snape. Snape who had overheard the prophecy, who had told Voldemort. Snape who, alongside Peter Pettigrew, had led Voldemort to my mother and father and me...

Ignoring Trelawney's questions, I sprinted away down the corridor, fury burning in my stomach.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

I waited in silence in the pitch black Room of Requirement. My heart was beating like I'd just run a marathon, and I listened carefully for any sign that she might try and get back into the Room.

I had almost screamed when she called out from near the door. I had been so involved in the cabinet, so determined that it work in time for when Dumbledore next left the school, that I hadn't heard the door as she came in.

I don't think she saw me. I used the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder - a handy product I had bought from the Weasley twins' joke shop - to hide and throw her out of the Room as quickly as I could.

I waited for the darkness to lift, crouching silently beside the wall where I knew the door would appear. She didn't come back.

I didn't know whether to be relieved or terrified that the cabinet was fixed. I had worked hard on it all year, feeling almost grateful when it still didn't work, and clinging to the last unsolved bit of the puzzle that was the only obstacle for the others.

Of course I didn't want them to have access to the castle. Once that happened, all hell would break loose.

But I didn't have a choice. My father was in Azkaban, my family had lost all credibility, and my mother and I had nowhere to turn. If I didn't do this - a lump formed in my throat as I thought about it - the Dark Lord would kill us both.

I thought about Harry, and what all this could mean for him. I hadn't known whether to believe all of the stories about him being the "Chosen One", but the more I thought about the it, I realised that that may well be the case. If the Dark Lord succeeds in taking over the Ministry of Magic, Harry will be dead, end of story. The only chance he will have of surviving is if he runs - or kills the Dark Lord himself. If it's true that he is the one who has to do it, then he is in the same situation as me - somewhere between a rock and a hard place.

I was shaken from my thoughts by a small click in my pocket. I pulled out the enchanted coin that I carried everywhere, and my mouth went dry at the message displayed on it:

Dumbledore gone for a drink. Won't be long.

I put the coin back in my pocket and stood up on shaky legs.

It was time.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

A/N- Hey guys! I really can't believe how long it's been since I updated - exams SUCK! But now I'm freeeeeeeeee and back with more Drarry for you lovely people. Hope it's worth it - Happy Reading! :-)