Chapter 47 - Seventh Year

DRACO POV

He survived. He was safe. I repeated the phrase like a mantra in my head after my father returned, stomping furiously through the house and muttering all kinds of swear words under his breath at their failure. I heard that they killed Mad-Eye Moody, and my heart broke when I heard that Hedwig had also died. Father told us how Snape used Sectumsempra on George, resulting in the loss of his ear. But the most important thing was that Harry was alive.

That thought kept me going for the next few weeks, while the Death Eaters came and went, discussing their plans to overthrow the Ministry. I didn't think they would be successful for months yet.

Boy, was I wrong.

My mother and I stayed at home again, and this time so did my father, as he no longer had a wand. Everyone else was prepped and ready for their Mark to burn, signalling the death of Scrimgeour at the hands of Pius Thicknesse.

It wasn't going to happen, I tried to tell myself. But this time, there was very little standing between Thicknesse and the Minister. So I wasn't altogether surprised when I felt my own arm begin to burn. I was, however, terrified.

The Safe House where they were keeping Harry wouldn't be safe anymore - all of the enchantments placed on it by the Ministry would be broken. All I could do was pray that he could escape in time.

We waited patiently for news, listening to the wireless radio the whole time. But there was nothing. Whatever was happening was being covered up well.

Eventually, a group of the Death Eaters returned, and they were furious. My heart leapt - that could only mean Harry had escaped again.

"Ted Tonks knew nothing," one of them snarled. "Potter left his house straight after he got there to go to a different Safe House."
"Him and his wife had nothing for us," amother added, "not even when we tried to torture it out of them."

My mouth felt dry. They had tortured people to try and find Harry? Of course they had, they were animals.

I listened closely to the rest of the conversation from upstairs.

"I was certain he would be at that wedding."
"Wedding?"
"Bill Weasley's wedding? He got married to a Veela. No idea what she saw in him."
Someone snorted with laughter. "There's hope for you yet, Fenrir."

I felt sick at the thought of Greyback being in my house, and prayed that I wouldn't be called downstairs.

"So how do you know he wasn't at the wedding?"
"We asked all of the guests. None of them had seen him."
"They were lying, obviously!"
"No... We asked that crazy old woman, Muriel? If she had seen him, she wouldn't have had the sense lie to us."
"You're missing something very obvious."

My father spoke for the first time, and there was a slight pause.

"I don't remember you tagging along with us," someone snapped.
"You missed something very obvious," Father continued, ignoring them. "What happened the night we chased Potter?"

There was an uncomfortable pause.

 "How many Potters were there?"
"Seven, Malfoy," the same person snapped. "What's your point?"

I rolled my eyes. Even I had caught up by now.

"And what did you find when you recovered Moody's body?" Father asked.

There was another pause, before someone said quietly, "Polyjuice Potion."

"Exactly," Father sounded relieved, "All of the Weasleys were at the wedding. Almost all of the Order was at the wedding. Where would be a safer place for Potter, than amongst all of those wizards? But he could have been recognised by the wrong person. So they made him transform into someone else."