Chapter 26

HERMIONE POV

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones without dates!" Ron groaned, hitting his head on the table. "Except Neville of course."
Harry laughed. "But then again he can take himself."

I rolled my eyes and leant across to them. "Believe or not, Neville's already got someone." I felt a little smug when their faces dropped like a tonne of bricks. Serves them right for being horrible to Neville.

He's really looking forward to the ball, bless him. He's been practising all week with his fancy new shoes, and he asked me to go with him a couple of days ago. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and said that unfortunately I had to turn him down, as I was already going with someone. My heart fluttered at the thought.

I glanced up as a piece of paper landed on Ron's desk. I caught Fred's eye and he winked at me before turning his attention back to his youngest brother as he read the note. I read it out of the corner of my eye:

Get a move on or all the good ones will be gone.

Ron sighed as he finished reading. "Who you going with then?" He mouthed, and I looked sharply at Fred. His cheeks had gone a little bit pink, but he just winked at Ron and tapped the side of his nose.
"I bet he's going with George," Ron muttered, and I rolled my eyes. "Hey, Hermione." I jumped when he turned his attention to me. "You're a girl."
I glared at him. "Well spotted."
"Go with me or Harry?"

He groaned when a book came into contact with his head. Snape was prowling between tables in the Great Hall, watching out for anyone who opened their mouths.

"Come on," Ron continued as I put my quill into my bag. "It's one thing for a bloke to go on their own, but for a girl it's just sad."
"Believe it or not, I won't be going alone," I seethed. "Because someone's asked me. And I said yes!"

I snatched my book off of the table and handed it to Snape, before stalking out of the Hall. How dare he assume I haven't got a date just because I'm not particularly attractive! Just because he's never noticed me doesn't mean other people haven't...

I was so caught up in my anger that I almost didn't notice Draco standing by a painting in the empty corridor on the first floor. I jumped, however, when he suddenly kicked the wall and then cursed, holding his foot. He turned around sharply when he heard footsteps coming towards him, and I could see a mixture of sadness and fury burning in his eyes.

His face softened when he saw me. "Hey Hermione."
"Are you alright?" I looked at him concernedly, and then down at his foot. He nodded, avoiding my eyes as he sat down on the stone bench under the painting. I sat beside him, cautious of his temper. "Can I help?"

He shook his head, still rubbing his foot. I stayed silent for a second and then decided to pursue the conversation. "Are you looking forward to the ball?"
I was stunned when Draco put his head in his hands. "Why does everyone keep on about that damn dance?" He yelled into his lap.
"I'm really sorry..."

He glared up at my terrified face, and again his features became kinder. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't take it out on you."
I shook my head. "It's ok. What are you angry about?"

He didn't speak for a second, just watching me carefully. "Has Harry said anything about me?"
"Many, many things," I laughed, hoping it might make him feel a bit better.
He gave me a small smile before continuing. "What's he said?"

I stared at him. As I looked, I could see the healthy colour in his cheeks and the bright glow of happiness in his eyes that had never been there before.

"You got together!" I shrieked, and Draco's cheeks became even pinker as he glanced around the corridor. Luckily it was deserted. "Sorry," I muttered. "But you did, didn't you?"
Drafo stayed silent, but his smile was answer enough for me.